shipwreck pottery identification....HELP!

bell47

Apr 1, 2006
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett Seahunter
We found this piece of pottery while diving in the area of a wreck we found. We need to know how to ID this crest to date the wreck and see where it possibly came from. We have a good idea of which wreck we're on but this could help with the identification. I can't say much more. I'm sure you understand. If you can't read the crest it says under it:

ROYAL PATENT
IRONSTONE
W & E CORN

On the banner on the bottom of the crest it says: PIEUT MON DROIT

On the shield it says: HONISOIT QUIMALYPENSE

It has a unicorn on the right of the crest, a lion on the left and a crown on top.

Attachments

• plate 005.jpg
    plate 005.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 521
Bell47,

when we where in NE FL, at an inlet, we found some that pottery to, what some of the
locals said, the pottery came off a 1800's British wreck??

DNC, right on. thanks for the website. I lost that site. along time ago.

sapper

I believe that we found an Ex-Confederate cruiser that was captured during the war and later sold to Canada in 1870 and wrecked in1875. We thought we were on it but had nothing to confirm a date. This pottery bottom puts our wreck in theright time! There is another wreck nearby but from a different time. How can I find out what she carried at the time of her sinking, who were her crew, were there any survivors? Also who owned her. Also we have found lots of bricks in the area. Were these cargo or did they serve some purpose aboard the ship, such as insulation around the steam engine?

If you know she was sold to Canada and was an ex-Confedrate cruiser, then I assume you have a name for her. The hard work is done. Pull the Boston Shipping List for 1875. This is a commercial gazette that was printed between 1843-1884. The difference with this one is that it concentrates on cargo and insurance loss for market purposes, and usually carries alot more data than the regular news accounts.

All the best,
Darren

Thanks guys......... Darren how do I find this list, is it on the internet somewhere? Yes we do know the name we just want to be sure that it's the right one. I don't know that there is any way to actually prove it unless we find a bell or some other item with a name on it. I do know Clive Cussler looked for it and couldn't find it so we are pretty proud!

You are correct. The bell is the obvious way to confirm it. Other fairly good indicators are to measure its length, get the mfg's names from gauges, engine, etc. and research their origins.

The Boston Shipping List is hard to get. You pretty much have to purchase it or go to a library near Boston.

Call Clive Cussler? ;D

british pottery mark --- mid 1800's say 1850 ish yepper --I love pottery for shipwreck time frame dating / nationality reasons

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back