Shipwreck pottery jar from Caribbean

Daveman

Greenie
Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received this pottery jar from my uncle who found it on the beach in the US Virgin Islands after a storm in the 1950s. He collected seashells, net floats and anything that washed up while he lived there. I don' know what it is or what it is worth. Can anyone tell me? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Spanish or Mediterannean, can spand a long time 1500's to late 1700's.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daveman

Greenie
Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response. Is this worth anything?

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I looked at sales history (ebay) of shipwreck pottery and saw some pricing. I searched also shipwrecked jar and those go for more. Some looked close to yours, but not quite. I would try posting also in the shipwreck forum. My guess it with the story make it worth something in the hundreds, but who knows could be worth quite allot if its rare to find that design and type in the condition yours is. On the down side it could be a modern replica, but it doesn't look it to me as I'm only going by what I've seen in museums and antique shops to compare.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daveman

Greenie
Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

I appreciate the info. I will try posting as you mentioned in the shipwreck forum. I'm positive it is old because my uncle passed on a number of things that were quite definitely old that he had beach combed. The pot has a lot of crusty stuff from being underwater a long time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Daveman

Greenie
Jan 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found in the Caribbean in the 1950's by my uncle, and I am 100% sure it was collected off the beach when he lived there. He gave all his beach combed items to me before he died.
I am not having a lot of luck finding something exactly like this, especially the top. I thank everyone for their help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread