shipwreck/treasure hunting from Colorado

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Hi everyone!

I have a situation that i would like some suggestions about if anyone can be of help. I currently live in new york ang close to new york city. I currentky use the public library there because i have access to it quite easily. I may need to move to the state of colorado, as much as it is exiting, i feel that would be the end of my treasure hunting in the caribbean. Is there anything in colorado that can help me? Or is it pretty much impossible to do it?

Thanks for your help,

Joseph

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Is there anyway i can do research while in colorado? Most places where i do research is in the east coast and driveable

J.O.A.T

Feb 23, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Dive, pick up the book buried treasures you can find by Robert Marx. I got it from Amazon. He has three pages on Colorado that would be fun to research. Mostly ghost town stuff but here is a cool legend. The Purgatoire Canyon Treasure is alleged to be about 12 million. which the Spaniards buried in the 16th century after taking it from the Indians. Near ghost town Higbie about 20 miles sw of Las Animas, Otero Co. on the Purgatoire river. Some Spanish armor was found in a cave nearby in Vogel Canyon. Maybe you could dive the river. But theres as story for ya, good luck.

OP
OP
Divemaster007

Divemaster007

Aug 20, 2012
Tha ks J.O.A.T!!

I believe i have that book, but didnt focus on that part, i'll check it out and look into colorado!!

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
IMO, the only 'research' worthwhile is source research.
By the time its in a book, you're basically too late.

There are a few exceptions to this, a lot of TH books have good leads for more research but ultimately, nobody is going to publish viable treasure locations without first going to look themselves, or advancing that information to someone who's capable of looking on a cut basis.

I have a good mound of archival source material at my fingertips, you'd be surprised what 'academics' are apt to overlook and yes, the internet is still an amazing tool but as far as doing research on treasure ships in Denver, CO, you're going to be limited to the same library books everyone else has, which isn't really 'research'.

What I don't quite understand from your question; are you looking to continue your research on wrecks, or looking to just continue to research general TH'ing opportunities? If its the former, then what I said above applies. You're not going to have access to much source material away in interior states. If its the latter, sure, there's always 'local legend' type stuff, just beware that unlike shipwrecks that are based on 95% fact and 5% rumor, the land treasure hunting game is the exact inversion of that, unless your thing is wandering around swingsets looking for lost childrens milk money.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread