Short Hunt Today Pulled A Few Plain Buttons...Not Sure Of The Age?

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today to an old log built farmhouse that I have hunted a few times. The good finds are becoming harder and harder to come by. I know there is still some good relics and coins here, but the area is trashed with iron. I am trying to hit spots that are off the main areas. Today I looked in an area that the high grass had just been cut and found a few buttons and a 1918 Wheat Cent. The two matching buttons have some markings on the back and all I can read is "Rich Gilt". I would like to know if there is anyway to get an age for these buttons? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 10-03-12 (2).JPG
    10-03-12 (2).JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 10-03-12 (3).JPG
    10-03-12 (3).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 80
Upvote 1

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 3 flat ones with the shank on the back are called flat buttons and they date anywhere from 1790s to 1840. They were made and used after that, but pretty much phased out by 1850, this is just what I have found in my research.

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have a good spot get back in there and dig that iron. Then you will find more. You got2dig Sooper Dave. I dig all the iron it's a pain but you will fine more in there. Go get it.
Nice buttons and looks like they all date. keep it up.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your buttons are 1820-1840s. Correct flat buttons are dated from the early 1700s-the late 1800s with many being phased out by the 1850s. However, the construction of yours date them more towards 1820-1840

Should be some more goodies there.

Dan

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out today to an old log built farmhouse that I have hunted a few times. The good finds are becoming harder and harder to come by. I know there is still some good relics and coins here, but the area is trashed with iron. I am trying to hit spots that are off the main areas. Today I looked in an area that the high grass had just been cut and found a few buttons and a 1918 Wheat Cent. The two matching buttons have some markings on the back and all I can read is "Rich Gilt". I would like to know if there is anyway to get an age for these buttons? Thanks for your help.

Nice buttons... I have a site in Middle Tenn. Site with an old cabin. I attempted to buy it in 1976 but bank would not finance it at that time. Imagine a 20 acre farm with a cabin a barn a cemetary and a rich history for only $11,500.00. Owner who bought it later gave me permission to search there. So, I hopped in my car and drove 18 hrs thru from So. Florida. Upon arriving, I learned that he recently learned that his nephew has a metal detector and will be visiting him soon. Hence, I was refused, but asked to search it about three years later. I was so preturbed that I never did. Sad part is that I learned as early as 1973 that a Confed Artillery camp was situated there.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 3 flat ones with the shank on the back are called flat buttons and they date anywhere from 1790s to 1840. They were made and used after that, but pretty much phased out by 1850, this is just what I have found in my research.

Thanks for the great info. :icon_thumleft:

You have a good spot get back in there and dig that iron. Then you will find more. You got2dig Sooper Dave. I dig all the iron it's a pain but you will fine more in there. Go get it.
Nice buttons and looks like they all date. keep it up.

Thanks got2dig, I have dug out a lot of trash, but it's just a small amount of what is there. I know it is masking the good stuff!

Your buttons are 1820-1840s. Correct flat buttons are dated from the early 1700s-the late 1800s with many being phased out by the 1850s. However, the construction of yours date them more towards 1820-1840

Should be some more goodies there.

Dan

Thanks Dan. Thanks to all the guys on this site who are cool enough to share their knowledge of old relics! :icon_thumright:

Nice hunt Dave. Those are some sweet buttons:headbang:

Thanks Bryce! :icon_thumleft:

Nice buttons... I have a site in Middle Tenn. Site with an old cabin. I attempted to buy it in 1976 but bank would not finance it at that time. Imagine a 20 acre farm with a cabin a barn a cemetary and a rich history for only $11,500.00. Owner who bought it later gave me permission to search there. So, I hopped in my car and drove 18 hrs thru from So. Florida. Upon arriving, I learned that he recently learned that his nephew has a metal detector and will be visiting him soon. Hence, I was refused, but asked to search it about three years later. I was so preturbed that I never did. Sad part is that I learned as early as 1973 that a Confed Artillery camp was situated there.

That sounds like it was a great deal even for 1976! I bet there is still some cool relics there, maybe you could get a chance to find out. Let me know if you ever do get that chance! :icon_thumleft:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice Digs Dave!! Those buttons are always good finds and you will find old coins there too. HH, Quindy.

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Digs Dave!! Those buttons are always good finds and you will find old coins there too. HH, Quindy.

Thanks Quindy! You are right I went back today and found a 1777 Spanish Reale! This is the oldest coin I have ever found. I enjoyed watching your latest video of the beautiful hills of Tennessee. Great going on the lead ya'll pulled! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread