Short hunt with colonial silver ID help

Zachbl92

Nov 8, 2015
Quinton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT pinpointer, deteknix xpointer, gray ghost originals
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, so I pulled this from a rev war area and it's obviously been in a fire. The reverse is completely bubbled up and can't make anything out. This thing is mangled. I think I saw 1774(barely viewed in first picture) The date is off to the side, on the bottom. Bust facing left. Any ideas would be great. Also best way to clean it also so maybe I can get a better pic up to help with ID.
Thanks,
Zach

Attachments

• 20161114_153516.jpg
    20161114_153516.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Upvote 7
20161114_164945.jpgcloser up front view

Last edited:
Maybe someone can see something on the back that I can't, but it seems to be completely messed up and melted.20161114_165713.jpg

Thanks! It might be a shilling, that's all I can find from Google so far. But two or three letters I can see would be backwards for kg2 shilling. I believes to see a us going clockwise around 9:00. Maybe vus. Not sure.

Last edited:
A roman coin

I wish. Lol

got a pair of fused melted silvers from corn field 2 years back---&, YUP, they tested + for AG. NICE CATCH :icon_thumright:

Try taking some pix with your mystery coin alone, I think your camera is focusing on your Washington, also try the "what is it forum" Allot of times I will look at my pix on my PC where I can see them better than looking on my phone to know if what I'm posting can convey what I'm seeing in my hand. I hope these tips help you get the ID I know you want?
Congrats on your find.

The first pic is a bit blurry.
For the second pic all I can see is that "T". There might be an "E" next to it...

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
The 2nd picture seems to be a better picture to see the bust and what is visible on the coin for the front of it. As for the T on the back, in the middle of the coin like that, I'm not sure. Maybe it'll help with the ID, thank you

I updated the 2nd picture, apparently it wasn't viewable.

Dust, it is us and possibly vus. I've searched the internet for hours and hours since yesterday and I've found nothing. Someone who knows coins should be able to make out the bust and the few letters visable. Sadly, it's so melted... I'll try and get better pics once I clean it totally and try and get some more letters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back