What's new

✅ SOLVED Shotgun? Help?

lovinlife

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
71
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I searched for the barrel? But came up empty any ideas about this. I don’t see any numbers but it could use a good cleansing. It seems pretty heavy for just the trigger part? Thanks for your thoughts.
 

Attachments

  • B9873362-5C19-4FA7-9A61-72095FBD6099.webp
    B9873362-5C19-4FA7-9A61-72095FBD6099.webp
    264.7 KB · Views: 245
  • A9BE1E51-26B8-4191-86FF-002C3524F5FB.webp
    A9BE1E51-26B8-4191-86FF-002C3524F5FB.webp
    222.7 KB · Views: 194
  • D05C5493-16EA-4B92-B882-EA321C0F0A01.webp
    D05C5493-16EA-4B92-B882-EA321C0F0A01.webp
    269.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 117E0745-2913-4487-A67B-522ACC226A51.webp
    117E0745-2913-4487-A67B-522ACC226A51.webp
    276.2 KB · Views: 197
Not a shotgun It is a lever action.possibly a 30-30.Look up Winchester.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh shoot, no pun intended, I thought the two holes in the front would lean towards double barrel shotgun? I’m far from expert! Thanks for your help.
 
Upvote 0
The barrels look two different sizes to me... if that's true look at the old 'survival guns'. Over and Under type and Lever Action would be the terms.

There's one barrel that is for a rifled round and the other is for a shotgun shell.

Good Luck and Nice Find!

Kace
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bottom opening is not a barrel it is the magazine that holds more shells.As you lever the action, the weapon kicks out the spent shell and a new bullet kicks up from the magazine into the firing chamber.
 
Upvote 0
The upper opening is for the barrel to mate to the receiver. The lower is the magazine the cartridges are slid in from the side of the receiver. The slide on the top of the receiver is where the empty shells are ejected from. All of that presuming that it is in fact a Winchester or other top-ejection rifle.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I understand what you mean and what's normal. There are some of those old survival guns that have a shotgun and rifle in one gun.

Kace
 
Upvote 0
Thanks so much for all the great information. I’ll look up Winchester an see what else I can learn! Thanks again
 
Upvote 0
based on the area of the loading gate and the placement/position of the side plate screws I believe it could be a model 1886 Winchester. They were available in different calibers so of course I have no clue which caliber yours could be.
 
Upvote 0
Agreed...
Looks like a 1886 Winchester.
If you cleanup the rear tang behind the hammer it should be stamped there.
 

Attachments

  • winchester 1886.webp
    winchester 1886.webp
    7.9 KB · Views: 88
Upvote 0
The nail in place of a pin says it was discarded long after new. Why would one take it apart and throw it away. The barrel may be in the next county?
 
Upvote 0
I’ve been on the Winchester sight trying to find exact match, no luck yet, and no luck finding the barrel either. Thanks for all your posts!
 
Upvote 0
another feature which helps to identify it as a model 1886 Winchester are the twin lugs that lock the bolt as shown in Huntindog's picture
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • my 1873 Winchester.webp
    my 1873 Winchester.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 95
  • my 1873 Winchester a.webp
    my 1873 Winchester a.webp
    12.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Upvote 0
1886 Winchester designed by John Browning. No doubt. This was the first Win. lever gun that could handle large calibers like the 45-70. Serial number will be at the bottom of the receiver at the front. It has a straight grip so was a standard rifle and not a deluxe. Made from '86 into the early 30's. Reintroduced late 30's as the M-71. A super duper find, but I'm a gun guy. Gary
 
Upvote 0
I understand what you mean and what's normal. There are some of those old survival guns that have a shotgun and rifle in one gun.

Kace

those are usually a breech action, never seen one in lever. I could be very wrong though.
 
Upvote 0
those are usually a breech action, never seen one in lever. I could be very wrong though.

No...You are right TP...They 'Typically' are. Without seeing that piece of the gun in person, to me that's what it looked like looking down towards the action.....But, If so, that would be a Very Rare Find.

The first two pics are combos and the 3rd pic is a lever action .410 shotgun only.

Kace

IMG_3149.webp

IMG_3151.webp

IMG_3153.webp
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom