What's new

✅ SOLVED Shotgun? Help?

lovinlife

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2014
Messages
71
Reaction score
163
Golden Thread
0
Location
Beautiful Montana
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I searched for the barrel? But came up empty any ideas about this. I don’t see any numbers but it could use a good cleansing. It seems pretty heavy for just the trigger part? Thanks for your thoughts.
 

Attachments

  • B9873362-5C19-4FA7-9A61-72095FBD6099.webp
    B9873362-5C19-4FA7-9A61-72095FBD6099.webp
    264.7 KB · Views: 245
  • A9BE1E51-26B8-4191-86FF-002C3524F5FB.webp
    A9BE1E51-26B8-4191-86FF-002C3524F5FB.webp
    222.7 KB · Views: 194
  • D05C5493-16EA-4B92-B882-EA321C0F0A01.webp
    D05C5493-16EA-4B92-B882-EA321C0F0A01.webp
    269.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 117E0745-2913-4487-A67B-522ACC226A51.webp
    117E0745-2913-4487-A67B-522ACC226A51.webp
    276.2 KB · Views: 197
That bottom is a .410 single-barrel lever action Henry (no loading port in the receiver) that was introduced in 2017. It's not an "old" design.

The receiver found in the original post is a Model 1886 Winchester. Long slot for the distinctive two-piece hinged loading port (for the magazine below the barrel). But the nail would seem to indicate it was perhaps at the end of usefulness and may have been parted out - hence no barrel or magazine.
 
Upvote 0
I think 1886 Winchester is correct. Nice find!
 
Upvote 0
That bottom is a .410 single-barrel lever action Henry (no loading port in the receiver) that was introduced in 2017. It's not an "old" design.

The receiver found in the original post is a Model 1886 Winchester. Long slot for the distinctive two-piece hinged loading port (for the magazine below the barrel). But the nail would seem to indicate it was perhaps at the end of usefulness and may have been parted out - hence no barrel or magazine.

Charlie, In reply to TP, who replied to me, I was just showing that there are lever action combos and lever action shotguns...The lever actions aren't Typically what anyone thinks about or runs across in combos or shotguns although available.

You are correct, that's a Henry lever action .410 shotgun...And it's Not Old...And Not to be confused with the one in the OP's pic.

Kace
 
Upvote 0
I have never seen or heard of a lever-action combo gun. Lever opening, yes. But both barrels would be single-shot.

But none ever based on a Winchester 1886 frame.

And the M6 in your middle image is opened by pulling up the rear sight block. The loop below is just a triggerguard.
 
Upvote 0
I have never seen or heard of a lever-action combo gun. Lever opening, yes. But both barrels would be single-shot.

But none ever based on a Winchester 1886 frame.

And the M6 in your middle image is opened by pulling up the rear sight block. The loop below is just a triggerguard.

I'm not positive and it doesn't matter to me that the gun isn't a 73 and not 86. I really don't know.

The Springfield has a guard for a squeeze trigger...

Not seeing that piece in person, it's a guess for me on model.

The shotgun part of a combo is going to be single shot...That's All I've Ever Seen anyway. Maybe I haven't seen every model made. Since some of those were made/modified by individuals and not produced for sale, I'm sure I havent.

They are called, as you probably know, Survival Guns due to having Just One Gun thats a combination Shotgun barrel for that type of hunting and One Rifled Barrel when you need that. The user sights in the rifle part of the combo.

Im not trying to educate You At All...or Anyone else for that matter...There are some folks who've only seen pump action or semi auto shotguns and associate every lever action they see with a rifle. Some people have never seen an octagon barrel and some have never seen a combo.

When the OP gets that piece cleaned, hopefully there will be a model number.

Kace
 
Upvote 0
If it's an early one the model number is on the upper tang and the serial number is on the lower tang. Cartridge is always stamped on the barrel.

I do try to educate where I have correct information to pass along.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like there are more smaller pieces MIA where the shells are loaded? I trying to find exact matches to the screws, but not lucky yet. I’m cleaning it up a bit more look and for numbers.
 
Upvote 0
C8BFBC89-02EE-4E5A-98FA-192F610A6A2E.webpOk I started to clean it, but I don’t want to ruin anything, I do see numbers on the upper tang, 18 but that’s as far as I can see. How is the best way to clean this? Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like there are more smaller pieces MIA where the shells are loaded?


Winchester-M1886-JP3.png


Winchester_1886Japan_schem.jpg


Note the schematic is for the later Japanese-made version that had a sliding thumb safety on the tang.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
06323341-B7EA-4ED0-A8D4-396AE4525B7D.webpwell I’m almost blind now but it looks like from all your pics and info an 1886! Although I can hardly make out the 86 I think that is what I see. Finally! Reallly thank you all for your help and info. Very much appreciated! ��
 
Upvote 0
View attachment 1644904well I’m almost blind now but it looks like from all your pics and info an 1886! Although I can hardly make out the 86 I think that is what I see. Finally! Reallly thank you all for your help and info. Very much appreciated! ��

i see it too great find
 
Upvote 0
There it is good ID he made his own firing pin
 
Upvote 0
Now that you confirmed that it is an 1886.
Clean the bottom tang right behind the lever and look for a serial number.
Once you have that you can search it and find the year of manufacture
and what caliber it was.

Awesome find!!
 

Attachments

  • 1886 serial #.webp
    1886 serial #.webp
    50.7 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
Kace, the firearms you refer to are only recently called "survival guns". Marbles made one back in the early 1900s which they called "The Game Getter", and Savage made a bunch of them with full size barrels and full wood stocks which were not meant as "survival" guns at all. The Germans made what are known as "Drillings" which have two shotgun barrels and one rifle barrel and they were not made as "survival" guns either. Winchester did make a lever action shotgun in the late 1800s but it was a flop and did not sell well. There are no over/under rifle/shotgun combinations with a lever action, they are all single shot firearms, no repeaters other than the fact you can fire two cartridges loaded singly.
 
Upvote 0
Now that you confirmed that it is an 1886.
Clean the bottom tang right behind the lever and look for a serial number.
Once you have that you can search it and find the year of manufacture
and what caliber it was.

Awesome find!!

No way to determine the caliber without the barrel. Unless you're an expert at ID'ing cartridge guides. The 86 came in many different calibers. The biggest was .50 caliber. I'm not sure if the serial number is on the tang or receiver bottom. It will be in one place or the another. I'd say yours is made before 1920. They started out stamping "Model 1886" on the tang first. After the turn of the century, Winchester was worried people would think a gun dated 1886 would seem outdated. So, they change the stamping to read "Model 86" sometime in the teens or 20's. The did that with the '92 and the '94 also. Gary
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Correct the serial number could be in either location. I'm not sure when they changed. I have them in both locations.
BUT Winchester did not recycle serial numbers, so if you have the serial number and the model number you can call the
Buffalo Bill Center of the West 307-578-4031 or cfmrecords@centerofthewest.org and have them look up the numbers and if it is in their records get all of the info on your receiver as to caliber, length of barrel, wood, engraving etc....
This would all be for the gun when it left the factory, if it was re-barreled then there would be no way of telling...
Good luck I hope you can pull a serial number and find out more.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom