Shotgun shell age identification?

Jul 25, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can anybody tell how old this is? It says western No 12 Super-X. It says made in usa in small print. It also had a little bit of red paper left around the edges. Thanks! :icon_thumleft: image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Western shells were produced from early to mid 1900. I think they were owned by Olin. The paper tells you that it's an older shell.

Upvote 0

Dirtminer

May 8, 2012
Candia New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
A new Garrett AT PRO, Discovery 2200 and a Bullseye II pinpointer. Brand New Garrett pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Franklin W. Olin received an engineering degree from Cornell University in 1886. After working at gunpowder mills in the eastern United States, he was one of several investors establishing the Equitable Powder Company in 1892 at East Alton, Illinois. Production of blasting powder for southern Illinois coal mining began in 1893.[3]

Olin formed Western Cartridge Company in 1898 to manufacture sporting rifle powder and shotgun shells for settlers of the Great Plains. The shotgun shells used primers manufactured by larger eastern ammunition firms.[3] When the firms with primer manufacturing facilities raised primer prices in 1900 to reduce competition from independent shotgun shell assembly plants, Western Cartridge Company formed the Union Cap and Chemical Company (UCC) as a joint venture with Austin Cartridge Company of Ohio. UCC manufactured primers, blasting caps, and .22 and .32 caliber rimfire cartridges at East Alton. Similar manufacturing procedures for these products included fabrication of sheet metal cups and filling portions of those cups with primary explosive. Rimfire cartridges bore a UCC headstamp and product packaging included a Maltese cross trademark. Purchase of Alliance Cartridge Company in 1907 allowed UCC merger into Western Cartridge Company.[4] The company trademark morphed into Super-X as the Maltese cross became associated with World War I Germany.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea, i throw all mine out. They make me angry.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't tell you where I found my info, most likely turtlefoots website before it got taken down Western Super X 12 Ga (1927 - 1960).jpg but I have a similar one dated 1927 - 1960 also if I rember correctly the made in usa is a later shell starting in the late 20's early 30's

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions