What's new

Should I buy a cibola or supertraq help

Lewy

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2017
Messages
79
Reaction score
105
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bournemouth
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero , compadre, outlaw, cibola, silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi
Ok really thinking about buying a cibola but just cannot make my mind up, I like all the tesoro machines, but clearly can't buy all of them.
So what does everyone think about the cibola, renember it coins and jewelery I am searching for.
Or should I go for the supertraq with it's higher frequency and great for gold.

Omg

Lewy
 
Best all around Tesoro for coin and jewelry hunting is the Vaquero imo. Deep, sensitive to low and high conductors and can handle many ground conditions.
 
Isn't the cibola a run and go vaquero with auto ground balance?
 
The Supertraq is a gold machine with that higher frequency and all, actually designed to find nuggets but like all Tesoros can do fine on coins, jewelry and anything else.
In your case using your parameters and choice between the two you listed I would think the Lobo would be a bit of overkill.
I have found a lot of coins and gold on land in the mostly public parks I tend to hunt and I did it using several detectors...
A 13kHz F70
A 14kHz Vaquero
A 12kHz Compadre
And an entry level Fisher F2 with a low 5.9kHz frequency...found about 2 dozen pieces of gold with that one and many thousands of coins.

All of the gold I have found has never been deeper than the normal range I have found most of my targets from shallow to about 5-6".

Gold is rare are thing but it is out there and opting for the Lobo just because it is a little higher frequency isn't logical thinking to me because most detectors will find coins and gold at normal depths and situations.
The chances of that Lobo finding gold others can't in the real world isn't all that high if you crunch the numbers...some nuggets smaller and sometimes deeper yea maybe, normal gold rings, religious medallions, pins and other jewelry not so much.

The Cibola is a killer on coins and jewelry as is it's brother the Vaquero which is the same thing with the added ground balancing feature.
That GB ability might not matter if you hunt in good soil but in some hotter dirt with a bit more mineralization it could matter in some situations and get you a bit deeper although plenty have found tons of coins and gold with both kinds of units over the years...fixed and adjustable GB.
As far as pure depth I would be looking at the Cibola, Vaq and Tejon because they have great track record in that area but all are capable and can get pretty deep...depending on your soil type of course.
Plus all the other Tesoro units are very good at finding all of that stuff too...when I am in a jewelry sort of mind I would opt to use my Compadre or Mojave as much as anything else because they just work so well at these tasks.

When choosing a tool the best thing to do is pick one that has features that have advantages that can help you in your sites and situations and make hunting more pleasurable and fun...for you.
It sounds like you are aiming to hunt public sites like I do so in your case that slightly higher frequency feature would not be something I would be so concerned about at all.
A non-issue...for your needs any of their models will work so pick one out using other feature criteria.
 
Last edited:
Isn't the cibola a run and go vaquero with auto ground balance?

I have both, nothing automatic about the Cibola. The ground balance is fixed inside, the Vaquero adjustment is on the faceplace. I adjust mine if I'm going to be using a different coil for a while, some people add an external adjustment. The Cibola and Vaquero are identical in depth for me.

The Supertraq has auto ground tracking, the Cibola does not.
 
My Cibola has found 3 rings, an earring and 2 gold coins. I really like it. Almost a year ago now I bought a Deus. Also like it. It has found about 6 gold rings and 1 gold coin, but all of these targets were shallow and easy. All of them were in dry sand beaches! Two were either on TOP of the sand or sticking out of it. Go figure. I have as of yet NEVER found gold of any kind in a field or woods. But I spend all summer weekends at the beaches.
 
I think the cibola will be the one
Many thanks
 
The Supertraq is a gold machine with that higher frequency and all, actually designed to find nuggets but like all Tesoros can do fine on coins, jewelry and anything else.
In your case using your parameters and choice between the two you listed I would think the Lobo would be a bit of overkill.
I have found a lot of coins and gold on land in the mostly public parks I tend to hunt and I did it using several detectors...
A 13kHz F70
A 14kHz Vaquero
A 12kHz Compadre
And an entry level Fisher F2 with a low 5.9kHz frequency...found about 2 dozen pieces of gold with that one and many thousands of coins.

All of the gold I have found has never been deeper than the normal range I have found most of my targets from shallow to about 5-6".

Gold is rare are thing but it is out there and opting for the Lobo just because it is a little higher frequency isn't logical thinking to me because most detectors will find coins and gold at normal depths and situations.
The chances of that Lobo finding gold others can't in the real world isn't all that high if you crunch the numbers...some nuggets smaller and sometimes deeper yea maybe, normal gold rings, religious medallions, pins and other jewelry not so much.

The Cibola is a killer on coins and jewelry as is it's brother the Vaquero which is the same thing with the added ground balancing feature.
That GB ability might not matter if you hunt in good soil but in some hotter dirt with a bit more mineralization it could matter in some situations and get you a bit deeper although plenty have found tons of coins and gold with both kinds of units over the years...fixed and adjustable GB.
As far as pure depth I would be looking at the Cibola, Vaq and Tejon because they have great track record in that area but all are capable and can get pretty deep...depending on your soil type of course.
Plus all the other Tesoro units are very good at finding all of that stuff too...when I am in a jewelry sort of mind I would opt to use my Compadre or Mojave as much as anything else because they just work so well at these tasks.

When choosing a tool the best thing to do is pick one that has features that have advantages that can help you in your sites and situations and make hunting more pleasurable and fun...for you.
It sounds like you are aiming to hunt public sites like I do so in your case that slightly higher frequency feature would not be something I would be so concerned about at all.
A non-issue...for your needs any of their models will work so pick one out using other feature criteria.

But wait, what if I go to the beach on wet sand, will the supertraq be better?
 
You need the Vaquero. Glad I could help! :skullflag:
 
I sure wouldn't give up the ground balance on my Vaquero for a Cibola that doesn't one. Run the GB a little negative and you'll be digging really super deep. Besides the Vaquero can be adjusted to different soil types.

tabman
 
IMHO, an Outlaw does extremely well in play areas when looking for jewelry. I usually out hunt my friends in the jewelry area using the Outlaw verses other [brands] higher end models. Using this machine I've found some deep tiny gold jewelry...:headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom