Should I find someone to give my childhood small stamp collection?

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My wife and i came back to southern Texas March 8 for spring break, then got trapped when they closed the border. And, just before we took off from our mountain home, I realized she had some dementia. I got her on coconut oil, used in Asia for such problems, and three days later she did not seem the same person at all. I did it because a man posted his 85 year old father has dementia so bad he could not dress himself, and if you dressed him, he could not walk. After 37 days on coconut oil, his dad can put on his clothes and go for a walk, and find his way home. My wife wasn't that bad, but there was an almost immediate change in her.

While we are trapped here, in our seldom used mobile home, we have been tossing out old 'treasures'. I am referring to the things which fill our homes, and we can't bear to toss out. When we die, our kids will come in, get a large dumpster and take most of it to the dump. I explained it to my wife and she agrees. She has pitched a lot of stuff no one else would give space to. Me, too.

I found the old beat-up stamp book I had when I was maybe 10 or 12. I have a certain number of old stamps, none considered valuable at the time. I want a guess or loose opinion. Would it be justified to find a kid who is interested in stamps, and give him that old book rather than pitching it, or letting our kids put it in the dumpster?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think many kids collect stamps anymore I still do . Have you thought about donating some of your things their are agencies that will come and pick them up. Dont throw the stamps away Please lol Tommy

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Suggestion: Give it to a Boy Scout Stamp Collecting counselor; he can teach young scouts the history behind each stamp.
Don.......

I was going to suggest the same thing... I personally have a huge collection - (just because it's huge, doesn't mean it's worth anything more than squat today). I've already tried to get my kids interested, set them each up with a meaningful beginning.

No interest whatsoever.....

I guess I'll go in the direction of the Boy Scouts too.

Such a shame, there were people who put their lifetimes into stamp collecting......

But, to be honest, I lost interest as well....

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah what the guys said...
Pretty sure the Scouts have merit badges for philately

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
51SFuQrsUIL._SX349_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Don.....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Don, believe I've a copy of that book! I'm too lazy to make a special effort to find it. A lot of my collection came from that purchase from the 90 y/o former scout leader in Madison, Ohio = Don King....

Oh, from that thread about the letter I posted of the lady who'd died Reminds me I gotta get off my duff - once again. For being so happily retired, seems I always find something better to do than what I should be doing.....

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PLEASE don't throw it away! I always see people joking about other peoples finds, saying things like "If you don't want it anymore just send it my way..." but seriously! If you don't want them anymore I'm sure somebody will take them!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pay shipping I just got some from My Wifes Grand Father. I love to collect stuff. I like to save History thats why I detect......Tommy

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Hope you can find a kid to give a starter to. Remember, if uncancelled, the stamps can still be used for postage. Over the yrs. I saw many old stamps used. Had to ask window clerk once if 1/2 cent stamps were still legitimate. They were. Good luck.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a good sized collection myself but lost interest when they went to forever stamps...it was forever not the same after that.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just posted my frustration on another Stamp Collecting thread.

Ain't many stamp collectors still around.

Just had a power surge reboot, danged. At least TNet came up again. Don't know if my post on the collecting forum actually still exists. Don't remember what I said there, so = once again, whatever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread