should i get the minelab 17inch coil for my ctx3030 or stay with stock coil?

digginEmup

Greenie
Apr 23, 2017
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Detector(s) used
minelab excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a ctx3030 live in port saint lucie florida seach treasure wreck sites and also look for modern jewelry at the beaches been using stock coil for sometime and want to know if its worth the 400 dollars for the 17inch coil? and how much deeper is it and also will it affect small finds?

sonnar28

Dec 2, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a ctx3030 live in port saint lucie florida seach treasure wreck sites and also look for modern jewelry at the beaches been using stock coil for sometime and want to know if its worth the 400 dollars for the 17inch coil? and how much deeper is it and also will it affect small finds?
The extra coverage and extra depth makes the 17" coil my standard coil for wet ocean sand and most dry sand. A harness is a necessity for me to prevent tendonitis and to smooth out the sweeps for max sensitivity. But the big coil is a no-go for me in the water due to increased drag.

On a mildly mineralized South Carolina beach, I get 3-4 inches extra depth with the big coil vs the stock coil. It appears to have fairly good sensitivity to small targets if set up to see them. But I have never found a thin chain with the 17" coil.

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a park/school/fairground/ball field hunter in southern Wisconsin where we have fairly “middle of the road” dirt. The 17” coil never leaves my machine, the difference in performance and the actual results are that dramatic (in MY world). I have found MANY a tiny object with the 17” coil, but I’m not a gold hunter, so I cant speak to its effectiveness on the very small or fine jewelry. Put it this way…if the CTX did not have a larger than stock coil available for it, I would sell it, if that says anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread