Should I go lookin for this "maybe" meteorite?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Should I go lookin' for this "maybe" meteorite?

OK, if I had know these things were worth any $$$ I would have done this a long time ago, but I honestly had no clue. Anyway, here is my tale.

About 13 years ago me and a buddy were driving home one summer night after doing some catfishing. As we came up on an four way stop, we both noticed an object falling straight down from the sky. It was bright green and giving off a trail of green sparks. We saw it hit the ground behind the treeline on the edge of a cow pasture. When it landed it briefly illuminated the woods like a camera flash.

We just kept on driving and never really considered looking for it. I was in my early 20's at the time and more interested in getting wasted and chasing tail at the time anyway. In fact, I thought that it probably wasn't actually a meteor. It seemed to be falling from the sky rather slow for something that had fallen from space. I also dismissed it at the time because I had heard something about airplanes dumping their latrines from high altitudes, and that the waste would freeze solid and fall to the earth. I didn't want to go looking for a frozen piece of airplane passenger poop.

Anyway, what I need to know is

(A) could this thing have been a meteor?
(B) would it be worth looking for?
(C) will a metal detector locate it?
(D) if I touch it will it turn me into a plant monster like Jordy Verril from the 80's horror flick Creepshow?

153212_std.jpg

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Re: Should I go lookin' for this "maybe" meteorite?

hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
OK, if I had know these things were worth any $$$ I would have done this a long time ago, but I honestly had no clue. Anyway, here is my tale.

About 13 years ago me and a buddy were driving home one summer night after doing some catfishing. As we came up on an four way stop, we both noticed an object falling straight down from the sky. It was bright green and giving off a trail of green sparks. We saw it hit the ground behind the treeline on the edge of a cow pasture. When it landed it briefly illuminated the woods like a camera flash.

We just kept on driving and never really considered looking for it. I was in my early 20's at the time and more interested in getting wasted and chasing tail at the time anyway. In fact, I thought that it probably wasn't actually a meteor. It seemed to be falling from the sky rather slow for something that had fallen from space. I also dismissed it at the time because I had heard something about airplanes dumping their latrines from high altitudes, and that the waste would freeze solid and fall to the earth. I didn't want to go looking for a frozen piece of airplane passenger poop.

Anyway, what I need to know is

(A) could this thing have been a meteor?
(B) would it be worth looking for?
(C) will a metal detector locate it?
(D) if I touch it will it turn me into a plant monster like Jordy Verril from the 80's horror flick Creepshow?

153212_std.jpg
Answers:
1) yep.
2) yep.
3) yep.
4) probably. Do you have a craving for intense direct sunlight while having your feet in water? If so, feed your photosynthesis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread