diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this just because I didn't know what it was. You know curiosity type thing and it's a cool looking bottle. I've since found out that the company made candied fruits and such. I just can't figure out what this thing is filled with. I have no clue as to the age of it. I'm thinking it's probably a minimum of 20 years old probably closer to 40, just by looking at the label. It's 14 inches tall and 5 inches at the base. Would you empty it or leave it alone?

DSC03913.jpg DSC03914.jpg

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard_sale.gif
If I bought it because I wanted to use the bottle for something - sure, I would open it and pour it out. If you bought the bottle to display and/or sell - I would leave it the way it is. Once you open it - any chance it is still good is lost.

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I would leave it as is, and that's hard to do. My father gave me 6 " fifths" of 60 year old OLd Crow bourbon, and I'm dying to open one! Someday maybe, but I need to decide what I'm going to do with it first. Good luck with your decision, when it gets right down to it, you're the only one who can make it.

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dunno, I would probably trick someone into opening for me. At a distance and maybe outside.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had one of those Jim Beam earth globe bottles at the swap meet once...unopened...trying to get big dollars for it...

some urchin comes by with his unwashed parents, twists the top an ruins any chance to sell the object...

so several of us sellers sat an drank the thing...
within twenty minutes, the whiskey changed taste from smooth as silk to garbage...different atmosphere than when it was bottled.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this just because I didn't know what it was. You know curiosity type thing and it's a cool looking bottle. I've since found out that the company made candied fruits and such. I just can't figure out what this thing is filled with. I have no clue as to the age of it. I'm thinking it's probably a minimum of 20 years old probably closer to 40, just by looking at the label. It's 14 inches tall and 5 inches at the base. Would you empty it or leave it alone?

View attachment 818802 View attachment 818803

In the words of Dave Chapelle's comedy series - Don't touch that S#*T! :) No but if it was me, I wouldn't open it.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not open it until I did research on it...you never know!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd keep it closed and hope someone else would pay more for it than you did.... Besides Diggumm, I was told by a Home Depot Paint Dept. employee that the reason all that "OOPS" paint is marked down so low is because that if the store had to dispose of paint, the going disposal rate was "$50.00" per gallon.

Best not open your prize lest you end up with it heading for some "toxic land fill"....:cat: Please remember to tell us "The Rest of the Story" when you open it or sell it...

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Think it could be some kind of fruit liquor?

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold off from opening it until I knew exactly what it is or was!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think it could be some kind of fruit liquor?
No mention of them making any type of liquor. By now though it probably has fermented, whatever it is! lol

I had one of those Jim Beam earth globe bottles at the swap meet once...unopened...trying to get big dollars for it...

some urchin comes by with his unwashed parents, twists the top an ruins any chance to sell the object...

so several of us sellers sat an drank the thing...
within twenty minutes, the whiskey changed taste from smooth as silk to garbage...different atmosphere than when it was bottled.
That sucks, I would have raised all kinds of hell with them people. Speaking of bottles of liquor... I picked up a nice $100 bottle of Scotch over the weekend too (for $5). And I don't even drink!

DSC03881.jpg

As for the other bottle, I'll probably leave it full. I just found another full bottle by the same company. Similar, though different and smaller bottle, but the label is identical. So it dates to around 1972 give or take a few. They want 55 euros for theirs. ANTIGUA BOTELLA - 1972 - CONSERVAS FINAS - FRANCISCO MORENO SA - CALAHORRA - TraperiadeKlaus

Also, I just found out the company is still in business. Cool little 1920's video on the website- Empresa - Francisco Moreno

shofs

Jun 5, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Sniper Sluice 30"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on finding that Scotch diggumup! Are you going to sell those bottles and if you do how do you go about something like that does ebay allow that?

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on finding that Scotch diggumup! Are you going to sell those bottles and if you do how do you go about something like that does ebay allow that?
No, I can't sell the Scotch but I can try selling the other one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread