What's new

Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT! UPDATED OPENED!!!!!

jewelerdave

Hero Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
850
Reaction score
98
Golden Thread
0
Location
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I got a cool roll today.

On one side, the back end of a WL
On the other side, a 40% 1967 thats pretty nasty.
Is it just two coins that are silver?
or a whole roll, maybe a nice mix of a bunch of stuff?

I have found a lot of back to back silver coins of late. Could this one be as good as it may be?

Should I open it? or tuck it away?

Or will my curiosity get the better of me and I open it.


What do you think?


Ht 2007 CRH Total: 10 2 07
War Nickels – 2
Buffalo Nicks - 1
V Nickel 1 (1899)
proof Nickel - 1
Sil Dimes - 2
Sil Wash Qtrs - 0
90% Kennedy - 60
40% Kennedy - 434
Franklins - 14
Walkers - 9
Barber – 2 (1904, 1910s)
Comm. Sil Halves – 1 1992 columbus
Prf Halves - 35
of witch are Silver Proofs 12

Ikes - 37
​
 

Attachments

  • OCT32007c.webp
    OCT32007c.webp
    45.9 KB · Views: 708
  • OCT32007d.webp
    OCT32007d.webp
    89.2 KB · Views: 681
Upvote 0
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Well I would definitely open it. But I just want to note how nice of a feeling it is to see a walker looking at you from the end of a roll. I especially loved the reverse design of those coins. The Walking Liberty half and the Buffalo/Indian Head nickel are two of the nicest looking coins ever produced in my opinion.
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Thanks, yeah they are I totally agree with ya, I also love the Eagles on the gold coins, of the late 1800s or the reverse on the seated liberties frikkin beautiful.
I wish they would redo with the same design some of the better coins they did back then. Definatly the Indian head penny, Buff nickel and WL half.
Id love to see them bring back liberty style coins...of course in this day and age and with current trends Liberty would probably be done as some 15 year old looking anorexic chick despite the fact that most of our population is quite the opposite!
Ever notice how she is always getting younger and thiner?
With modern coins they may as well just stamp a number on a blank piece of metal to indicate a value as the art and style has been lost for quite some time. It just doesn't seem that any coin artist puts there heart and soul into the design.
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

check er out
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Nice find!!!

Perfect for the Ebay crowd. Start the bid at $8 plus shipping and see how high it goes.

I probably won't be able to resist either. ;)

HH
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Open it! The suspense is killing me!
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

DrDetector said:
The Walking Liberty half and the Buffalo/Indian Head nickel are two of the nicest looking coins ever produced in my opinion.
Those are nice looking coins. My favorite is the Mercury dime. Oh, BTW, open the darn thing and let us know whats in it..............please.......
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

I think Switzerland still has a really sweet coin design for their lower denom coins. It looks pretty much very similar to our Seated Liberty coins of the 1800s.

Of all our current coins, I do like the reverse of the nickel and the reverse of the dime. They still hold almost a nostalgic 1940s feel to them, even though they are cranked out by the billions now. The old reverse of the quarter (til '98) and the current JFK Half Dollar I like also. Seems they are definitely straying from the traditional designs, though, with the quarter, nickel and dollar. I'm a fan of the dollar coin, I just think the portraits of the presidents could be done a nicer way.
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

I would crack it open.
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Wow!
Never got a 2 sided silver shotgun roll before.
That is awesome.
Save it for a skunky day.
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

TXTim said:
Wow!
Never got a 2 sided silver shotgun roll before.
That is awesome.
Save it for a skunky day.

I vote for Tim's suggestion. Save it for a skunky day.
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Open it! Open it! Open it!
 
Re: Should I open this Roll or not! CHECK IT OUT!

Well I finally had to break down and open it.

I was showing the Roll to a couple of my associates and they were like Open it!

And I was like No.

then one of them grabbed one of the bottles of scotch I picked up in Scotland and said, you either open that up or I open this up.


Damn...I though, Ok, thats a good enough reason.

So I riped it open and.....














Just two coins, the Walker a 1941, and the 67 as ugly as sin.



Well it was worth it. todays boxes didnt yeild much, out of over $1000 searched I got 3 %40ers. talk about a let down, I almost got my first skunk box.

Also having some problems up here.

Seems there is another CRH in the area and he is screwing things up, my local bank today said they had a cut a guy off that was bringing in up to $4000 in coins at a time. I thought this was interesting, that explains the policy another bank had to put into place where they will only sell $100 in halves at a time, Another bank refuses to order them for collectors anymore. A perfect example of people abusing the system. Sounds like I am going to have to go on more road trips at this rate. Just glad I have a prius. My Road Trips have been fun and worth while for the most part.

So the last few days have yeilded the following

10 40%ers
NO 90 kens
1 54 Ben
1 45 walker
1 2005 S Proof Clad
A bank bag yielded a 20 cent Australian Coin with a platypus on it.
a Couple pitching machine tokens,
A grand Teton Good luck token
and some Costa Rica Calones Coin.



Kinda crapy for over 3k in change.
I did find one silver dime a 62 But thats it.
Well I do have a box of pennies to go though, maybe I can find an Indian head or something cool.

Ht 2007 CRH Total: 10 5 07
War Nickels – 2
Buffalo Nicks - 1
V Nickel 1 (1899)
proof Nickel - 1
Sil Dimes - 3
Sil Wash Qtrs - 0
90% Kennedy - 60
40% Kennedy - 461
Franklins - 15
Walkers - 10
Barber – 2 (1904, 1910s)
Comm. Sil Halves – 1 1992 columbus
Prf Halves – 36
of witch are Silver Proofs 12

Ikes - 37​
 
Sorry to hear about your bank troubles up that way. I switched dump banks myself since I found a bunch of my own marked coins in the last FED box (I only marked one box). Not self service anymore. One thing I really wanted to do was buy the bag out of the counter first but I just couldn't be that crass. I would try to set up a few banks that will order 2 a week for you and say they will never see them coins again. Easier said than done though, my CU I have one branch that gets me 2 a week but all the others the first time I ordered 2 they came in, next times always only one. I got coin on backorder all over now and noone has called to say they're in. HH Mark
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom