What's new

Shoulder Epaulet?

JamesJr

Jr. Member
Joined
May 4, 2025
Messages
50
Reaction score
152
Golden Thread
0
Does anyone know what era this epaulet comes from? It breaks in two as you can see. In my area of Virginia it could be from colonial to Civil War.
shoulder board 1.webp
shoulder board 2.webp
 
Upvote 18
I know nothing about them . But you have a very nice find :)
 
It’s definitely Civil War era, congrats on a nice find, now find the rest of it!
 
Just from the pictures I want to say Civil War era private's shoulder scale.
 
It looks like part of a civil war shoulder scale. They were issued to northern troops and designed to deflect sword strikes. From what I read years ago they were not very effective and most soldiers stopped using them. They were designed to be removable for laundry and I have found some of the turn keys used to fasten them onto the uniform at civil war sites.

Congratulations on a good find. Stay safe, good lick and keep swingin.
 
Sure looks like it could be, nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom