What's new

Show and telll.

time machine

Full Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
338
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
Whites dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 3 3/8 by 4 3/4 piece of copper with a signature on it. The site I've been detecting has history dating back
to the 1700's . I was hoping if anyone might know what the name of the signature says ?


Thanks TM.
 

Attachments

  • 770.webp
    770.webp
    592.6 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 16
It looks to be the reverse, like a printing plate or something. Hold it up to a mirror....
 
Here, I reversed it...looks like "Thomas D. Warren".

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1435902519.270437.webp
 
NOT SURE WHAT YOU HAVE BUT SURE THE HEAEL IS NEAT.
 
Here a Thomas Warren from New York durning Civil War???????
 

Attachments

  • 1435926127109.webp
    1435926127109.webp
    25.8 KB · Views: 146
This should be cool.......Hopefully someone can ID it!
 
Cool find. It's definitely printing related. What exact type of printing process I don't know but It's definitely for some type of letterpress.

How early it is I can't say. Brass letterpress plates and dies are still in use today so it could be from any time. Hopefully it's early.
Given the site you describe it probably is.
 
J.Cache your absolutely right it's some kind of printing plate . The site I've been hunting has some colonial history but in the 1850's
Peter H Warren commission his home to be built on this property. Thomas Warren was his son who was born in 1859 and died 1939
and buried in the family graveyard. Cache thank you for knowing what it was and now the fun really starts researching who he was
and his family.

TM
 
Congratulations on the printing plate, looks like you have an old site to hunt!
 
J.Cache your absolutely right it's some kind of printing plate . The site I've been hunting has some colonial history but in the 1850's
Peter H Warren commission his home to be built on this property. Thomas Warren was his son who was born in 1859 and died 1939
and buried in the family graveyard. Cache thank you for knowing what it was and now the fun really starts researching who he was
and his family.

TM

Finding something personalized is always an adventure. I love researching and being able to tie direct history to an object. Good luck on your quest, looks like you are off to a great start!
 
Wow , that is fantastic - to be able to connect the artifact with a person ! Nice research , maybe you can find living relatives in the
area , share the find with them .
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom