What's new

Show me some square nails!

TerryC

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2008
Messages
7,855
Reaction score
11,225
Golden Thread
0
Location
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been around this Net since the early '70s. I am now getting into relic hunting. I am finding horseshoes, horse tack, and square nails. I need pics of 1800s square nails so that I may compare with my finds. Tnx. ╦╦Ç
 
no pics of nails, but its pretty obvious whats what. So look into sheared nails vrs hand forged. you will find differences that will allow you to date the nails. in late 1800's they started shearing hte nails from a sheet rather than hand drawing like older square nails.
 
cut.webp


https://www.harpgallery.com/library/nails.htm




nailhistory_webentry.webp
 
I forgot, pay close attention to the heads as well, key differences there
 
Here are some recents.... can anyone put a date on them? ╦╦Ç

DSCN0049.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom