Show me the way .........

Metalgear

Dec 31, 2006
Did some MD out in the country along the Thames river. This river has a great history of battles that took place in the 1800s. I found this little brass or copper round storage utility. I am not sure what kind of metal this is made of. Was not able to open it at the spot so when i came home i knew what my first thing to do was. All the way back home i was wondering what this could be. Maybe for pills, for powdering noses, maybe to store candy, maybe an old pocket watch. I dunno. Once at home i had a hard time opening the thing. Finally, after some small damage, i managed to open it. Look and find out for yourself what it is :)

Attachments

• riverfound.JPG
    riverfound.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 358
  • riverfound1.JPG
    riverfound1.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 353
  • riverfound2.JPG
    riverfound2.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 365
  • riverfound3.JPG
    riverfound3.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

robot4metal

Jul 6, 2007
Niagara Region, Ontario, CANADA
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x, White's MXT
AWESOME!

Mary

Metalgear said:
Did some MD out in the country along the Thames river. This river has a great history of battles that took place in the 1800s. I found this little brass or copper round storage utility. I am not sure what kind of metal this is made of. Was not able to open it at the spot so when i came home i knew what my first thing to do was. All the way back home i was wondering what this could be. Maybe for pills, for powdering noses, maybe to store candy, maybe an old pocket watch. I dunno. Once at home i had a hard time opening the thing. Finally, after some small damage, i managed to open it. Look and find out for yourself what it is :)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Really cool find, congrats and that must have been exciting.
Best of luck to you out there, can't wait to see what you find next.
Good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Now that is really nice! Who would have guessed it was a compass. I'd try and find any markings to try and find out how old it could be. WAY TO GO!!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
That's a verra nice! Verra Nice Indeed! If I were You, I'd get a nice little velvet bag to put it in and I'd carry it around with me every time I went metal detecting! <Smile> That way you would ALWAYS know the way... at least which way was north! <grin>

Ok.. So I'm jealous.. how many others who've see your treasure AREN'T? <grin>

Congratulations!!

Frodov

HH

OP
OP
Metalgear

Metalgear

Dec 31, 2006
Thank you all, for the kind replies. The only marking i can find is Germany. Underneath the S for South is printed Germany. So i guess it was once made in Germany. No other markers or names or dates to be found on compass. :)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally neat find, MG...WTG!

;) RR