What's new

Show Me to the Nonferrous metals please!

PGHDigger

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2016
Messages
73
Reaction score
268
Golden Thread
0
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunted all day... 9 wheaties and my first war nickel... in the far back of an abandoned house right by the garage I got a nice signal... Dug a bit and found what looked like the top of a jar... Dug a little more... And then some more... And out popped an old copper fire extinguisher... Don't know a thing about it yet... But pretty cool... Not sure whether to scrap it or clean it up more...

image.webp
 

Attachments

  • image.webp
    image.webp
    493.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Upvote 12
That one looks pretty beat up. I would scrap it.
 
I'd keep it, nice find, it's cool! :-)
 
Cool finds!! if you scrap it maybe see if someone else wants it just have them pay shipping!! one mans treasure ect I found the top of a jar under the base of a tree once took forever to get it out it was some ones time capsule Good stuff
 
Very cool! I'd definitely keep it too. I really like the color on it.

I found this hand held one a few years ago way up in northern Maine at a location of an old sporting camp cabin. So remote I had to take a float plane in to the lake. No detector needed as it was just under some leaves on the top of the ground. I'm missing more of it than I found, but its displayed on a shelf in my office anyway. Those old extinguishers are really cool to me.

Its a personal preference, but I like how yours looks now without cleaning. Its also a personal preference on keeping it or not, but I think its pretty awesome :thumbsup: Nice find.

IMG_20160202_224426784.webp
 
Id at least try to tag sale or Craigslist that thing - as opposed to scrap it - you should be able to get double just as someone's lawn ornament or decoration -
Id like to see pics of this abandoned house - Im assuming if you are brave enough to detect the yard - you've been in the house - anything interesting?
 
Congrats on your digging your 1st OD nickel :occasion14:. The extinguisher is a cool piece. Looks like a nice container for your copper pennies or your jewelry finds..
 
That's too cool for scrap, I'd be cleaning up the brass face, and displaying it.
Man, how long did it take to dig out?
Kudos!
Carl
 
That's too cool for scrap, I'd be cleaning up the brass face, and displaying it.
Man, how long did it take to dig out?
Kudos!
Carl

It was at an angle... So once I got it started it kinda popped right out... Maybe 5 minutes or so...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom