Show off yer sluice

Thanks my heart about jumped out of my chest when i seen that little beauty

:headbang: Did she just sit on the deck or did you find her at cleanup?

i never seen her on the deck im surprised ive seen smaller ones tumble before but this one was in my bucket of cons (one clean out only there two hours) and before i pan it i run it through a stack of quarter and 8 mesh screens and right as i was going to toss the quarter screen it caught my eye and in disbelief i took a closer look and it was love at first sight just sitting there to big to fall through the quarter mesh

also this is my first nugget i have gotten several pickers but nothing like this i feel like i am on the right track for only starting this hobby this last spring

That's sweet!!! Kinda makes you want to prospect all winter eh?:icon_thumright:
funny you say that because my partner was like ahh sh#t now you'll never quit bugging me about going lol

Cool ! your wash plant looks it should help bust those clay cobbles . Congrats on a nice build !
I see that you made a narrow extension to the front of the sluice . That design may help in giving the water and slurry a little speed before hitting the matting area.

right as i was going to toss the quarter screen it caught my eye

Yup! That's why I ALWAYS check those "tailings" before they get chucked to the side! Even them I toss them into a common pile and hit them with the detector before back filling the hole when I get to that point.

Nice find Yota! Keep it up and we'll have to change your handle to YODA!

Yup! That's why I ALWAYS check those "tailings" before they get chucked to the side! Even them I toss them into a common pile and hit them with the detector before back filling the hole when I get to that point.

Nice find Yota! Keep it up and we'll have to change your handle to YODA!

Haha yes i very thoroughly check my screen now in hopes of finding more. And the name yota is because i am a toyota fanatic lol

LOL... I drive one myself Yoto. Got an 86 1-ton pick-em-up that's kind of a "rare bird". R22E engine with an automatic and a full length bed. They didn't make that many of that model and I'm always getting asked if I want to sell it. Well I've still got it so you know what my answer has always been. It's in need of a little TLC but since it's got less than 180K miles on it I'll give it the TLC and get at least another 200K out of it. I take that thing through stuff that folks with 4WD look at and say "No way!".

Hey Kevin, just ordered up the same model, partly based on some of your reviews. So thanks for those! Curious how long it took you to make the dam for it, and does it always need that much angle to run? I would love to meet up with you sometime if possible, for some hands on training with this thing? I'm close to the Loveland area if you care to have company sometime! Thanks again

Bob
RSJRPHOTO

Hi Bob!
Did you get your sluice? Have you had a chance to try it out yet?

LOL... I drive one myself Yoto. Got an 86 1-ton pick-em-up that's kind of a "rare bird". R22E engine with an automatic and a full length bed. They didn't make that many of that model and I'm always getting asked if I want to sell it. Well I've still got it so you know what my answer has always been. It's in need of a little TLC but since it's got less than 180K miles on it I'll give it the TLC and get at least another 200K out of it. I take that thing through stuff that folks with 4WD look at and say "No way!".

I love it! I had a 88 toyota 2wd pickup before the tacoma i have now and it had 396,000 when i bought it i drove it for two years and sold it to a friend who still is driving it it now has over 500k on it and its the original motor

Goodguy,
I would like to put side slide extensions on my 24" sluice which will increase the opening from 11" to 16". They would be of aluminum and slide towards the rear, extending about 11". Does the winged opening, without the bottom, increase the velocity, pressure, or volume going towards the tubes and over the slick plate? You have already experimented with this so the expertise is in your court. It should direct the flow but how much and is it worth the effort?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Goodguy,
I would like to put side slide extensions on my 24" sluice which will increase the opening from 11" to 16". They would be of aluminum and slide towards the rear, extending about 11". Does the winged opening, without the bottom, increase the velocity, pressure, or volume going towards the tubes and over the slick plate? You have already experimented with this so the expertise is in your court. It should direct the flow but how much and is it worth the effort?
Thanks,
Mike

Not worth the effort in my opinion. I took mine off.

GG~

With the size of those wings it's hard to believe that there wasn't a lot more water running through your fluid bed. Oh well, I'll can this idea.
Thanks,
Mike

With the size of those wings it's hard to believe that there wasn't a lot more water running through your fluid bed. Oh well, I'll can this idea.
Thanks,
Mike

The wings worked great in certain situations where the water level was the right depth so that the unit could sit on the very bottom of the creek bed in order to keep any flow from going underneath the wings and provided the flow was fast enough so that the sluice could run fairly flat. In deeper water or especially where the sluice needed more angle due to too slow flow the wings were pretty much useless if they were sticking up out of the water due to the steep angle.

Because of seldom having the ideal situation I removed the fold out wings in order to save weight.

bw1.jpg

GG~

Last edited:
Thanks, I was trying to get my head around not having a bottom to trap the water escape. If you have a drop then the water can get around without effort because the wings actually lift off the stream bed. I can't remember whether it was you that had the aluminum drop-down with a bottom. That sounds like a killer idea! Anyway ....... thanks for the input. I used my fluid bed this past summer and killed the gold. I was impressed but came home and removed the two 1" tubes and changed them to three 3/4" with a more even distribution. Now I have 5/8" spacing at the sides and 1 1/4" between the middle. Kept the alternating pattern the same with 1/8" holes and now I'm done. Improvement for the 24" fluid bed design with a wider bed than slick plate to slow the exit flow minutely. :-)
Thanks for your time,
Mike

Thanks, I was trying to get my head around not having a bottom to trap the water escape. If you have a drop then the water can get around without effort because the wings actually lift off the stream bed. I can't remember whether it was you that had the aluminum drop-down with a bottom. That sounds like a killer idea! Anyway ....... thanks for the input. I used my fluid bed this past summer and killed the gold. I was impressed but came home and removed the two 1" tubes and changed them to three 3/4" with a more even distribution. Now I have 5/8" spacing at the sides and 1 1/4" between the middle. Kept the alternating pattern the same with 1/8" holes and now I'm done. Improvement for the 24" fluid bed design with a wider bed than slick plate to slow the exit flow minutely. :-)
Thanks for your time,
Mike

Your sluice looks Great!
And your fine tuning resulting in a more even stratification of material in the trap is quite an improvement.

scoop.jpgadjscoop.jpg
The adjustable scoop that I installed on mine certainly does come in pretty handy sometimes.
Thanks for the compliment.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back