Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Show your own poles for your scoops

The pole itself, not grab handles... sorry for the confusion.

I have a brand new shiny stealth scoop being delivered Friday and I’m beyond excited. My plans are to use a fiberglass or wood Home Depot/Lowe’s/tractor supply handle for the time being and after the initial hit of the scoop price wears, then order myself a carbon fiber handle.

Question is what handle exactly are you using for your scoop that you bought elsewhere.... and how do you like it.
Maybe show a picture and have info so we can have an all in one thread about the different handles. I know the scoop takes 1 3/8” so that’s what I’m literally walking into Home Depot as I type this to look for.

Last edited:

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Look up "Raptor Lift Assist Guide Handle" and pull handle. I've been using them for about three years, I have both on my scoop . The pull handle down in the middle of the shaft and the lift assist on the end of the shaft. Lifetime guarantee, but they would be very hard to break, I've been told they are made of the same material that rifle stocks are made from. SCOOP.jpg

OP
OP
Dechert360

Dechert360

Feb 1, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Look up "Raptor Lift Assist Guide Handle" and pull handle. I've been using them for about three years, I have both on my scoop . The pull handle down in the middle of the shaft and the lift assist on the end of the shaft. Lifetime guarantee, but they would be very hard to break, I've been told they are made of the same material that rifle stocks are made from. View attachment 1570600

Thank you for that, I'll look into those....But I don't even have the pole that they attach to. Did you order yours from Sunspot when you ordered the scoop? I figured I could just do down to the hardware store and grab a fiberglass handle but the measurement of the OD of all of them is smaller than what the scoop requires. Maybe I should of just ordered the Ash handle while saving for the carbon fiber one.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Here's mine. One-handed operation. Never have to bend over, stoop over, or have 2-hands on the rod/pole. Your 2nd hand stays with your detector.

Attachments

• 2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.45.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 76
  • 2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.17.58.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    2012-11-01_08.18.14.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 62

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
I would suggest a wood handle from Home depot, Lowes or any store like that. It should cost less than $20. Carefully fit the wood into the scoop part, you want it to be snug with no play in it if you can. you want the grain of the wood facing front to back, by that I'm saying in line with the metal basket. It will keep it stronger with less bending in the shaft. one last thing, try to cut the end of the wood that goes into the scoop on a matching angle so it goes as deep into the tube on the scoop as possible, then add the screw to hold them together. If you look at my picture the lower handle has a "Grip" on it, you might not need one but if you do...that's a grip from an old set of crutches, it works great and that one has been used for over 100 hours and still going strong. Another plus with these grips are the placement of the upper one lets me push the shaft further away from me letting the scoop go almost straight down into the ground. You can put these grips anywhere you want on the shaft, you can use one or both if you want. It took me a few hunts before I had them adjusted where I liked them. they fit different size shafts. And you might want to price the fiberglass/Carbon fiber shafts, you can buy a lot of wood shafts for what one of those cost. any more questions contact me and Ill do my best.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have various scoops. I went to a hardware store and bought ubolt clamps. I then had 3/4 inch nipples 5 inches long welded on the clamps, Then I put bicycle non slip grips on the nipples. I then bolted the clamps on my scoops where i wanted them. Some words of caution. If your hunting salt water be sure to use stainless clams and pipe. You might get your grips first and make sure they slip tightly over your pipe. Some times half inch pipe works on the clamps . You might not want 5 inch long handles . As you can see mine are a little long but i can live with it. I rarely ocean hunt so i thought I could get by with just plain clamps and pipe. I think i paid 2 dollars for my clamps Stainless Steel ones we like 7 dollars each. IMG_3166.JPG IMG_3168.JPG IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3170.JPG IMG_3169.JPG

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a Yellow Plastic scoop that I got years ago and I attached a wooden broom handle to it with tie straps and then plenty of two part epoxy for reinforcement. It serves me will in SOFT sand at the Beach. Old age makes me not want to bend down a lot. Every part of my Jerry Rig scoop is non metallic. I just detect, scoop, and swing the coil over it.Sorry----no pictures.
Marvin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread