What's new

Sickel/Sling blade?

IronSpike

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2009
Messages
3,142
Reaction score
61
Golden Thread
0
Location
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday dug a few good iron relics at an old farm house. The blade reminds me of a sickel or sling blade, yet have no curve to it. Anyone familiar with this blade style?
 

Attachments

  • Picture 220.webp
    Picture 220.webp
    6.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Picture 221.webp
    Picture 221.webp
    6.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Picture 222.webp
    Picture 222.webp
    13 KB · Views: 256
  • Picture 223.webp
    Picture 223.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Picture 226.webp
    Picture 226.webp
    24 KB · Views: 259
  • Picture 225.webp
    Picture 225.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 264
It reminds me of a Hay Knife .
 

Attachments

  • images.webp
    images.webp
    2.1 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
mojjax said:
It reminds me of a Hay Knife .

Thanks mojjax :icon_thumright: I'll have to :read2: hay knife, but I agree knife a good call. If it hadn't been for the handle insert I would have guessed lawnmover blade :D

I'll green check on hay knife. All suggestions pretty much same functions. Somewhat odd this knife has fairly straight blade/handle, but then again not mass produced.
 
Upvote 0
I have to say the knife is more likely a
meat cleaver or large utility knife.
Hay knives are about four or five times
larger and usually have two hand grips.
also, large, exaggerated teeth, or with a smooth
blade type the handle is 90 degrees to the blade.

Hay2 ( no connection)
 
Upvote 0
haybudden2 said:
I have to say the knife is more likely a
meat cleaver or large utility knife.
Hay knives are about four or five times
larger and usually have two hand grips.
also, large, exaggerated teeth.

Hay2 ( no connection)

Good point on the size haybudden2. Although a big knife, it may be too small for a hay knife and the lack of curve whether blade or handle doesn't seem to be ideal this function. The blade itself is crudely made, however would make a good meat cleaver. Thanks input haybudden2 :icon_thumright:


4-H said:
Nevertheless Kenn, those are some cool relics!!!

I love the old lock.

Good clear photos too :thumbsup:

Thanks Mike and you're right iron can be cool to dig :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED 2 items
Replies
2
Views
648
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED From a shipwreck
Replies
2
Views
453

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom