What's new

Sidewalk wheatie stash

Bum Luck

Silver Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
3,516
Reaction score
1,284
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I drove by a sidewalk project yesterday, and decided to stop and try my luck.

They'd taken out about 35' of a double sidewalk on the grade school grounds, and I got my usual run of old nails, etc.

But when I hit the end, I got a huge solid signal, the kind you get when you hit a big chunk of copper high voltage wire.

But when I dug it, I got a lump of 8 wheaties, the newest I can make out the date is 1945, the oldest 1937, all in XF shape except for the thick coat of green oxidation on them.

They were all in the space of maybe 2", and some stacked up.
 

Attachments

  • coins1.webp
    coins1.webp
    38.7 KB · Views: 285
Any idea what to use to get off the thick green crud?

I understand that any acid will pit the coins, but the crud is probably copper oxide, and it's thick.
 
Bum Luck said:
Any idea what to use to get off the thick green crud?

I understand that any acid will pit the coins, but the crud is probably copper oxide, and it's thick.

They are done for. Just toss them in your wheat penny jar and forget about them.
 
I would try some electrolysis on them and see what happens. After all, what is there to lose?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom