What's new

sifter I made

Whydah

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
1,080
Reaction score
1,917
Golden Thread
2
Location
New England
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Casper was nice enough to give me some of the items nedded to get this thing started. I took what he gave me and went to the depot to pick up the remainder of items needed. This one measures about 4 feet square. There is NO metal at all on it, so I am able to run the detector over it or use a pinpointer...Items that I used were 3 inch PVC pipe along with 4 - 90 degree elbows. I used 1/2 an old wooden childs gate for strength on the bottom. Then used a vexar plastic screen with 1/4 inch holes to catch the small stuff. I zip tied it all around the edges, and also glued it together so it's water proof. NO xtra floatation needed with this puppy. As you can see with the rocks inside she is very strong and sterdy. There is about 30 lbs of rocks inside and still floating. No noodles needed. If you have any questions on how to make it. e - mail me. @ Hwhydah17172002@Yahoo.com I also put a short rope on it with a brass clip so it won't rust... The clip can also be used along with a 2 lb dive weight if you prefer not to tag it along with you.Thanks for looking. sifter 2.webpsifter.webp
 
Upvote 0
Nice - the no metal makes a huge difference. Being able to run my detector over my sifter with a couple of scoop loads in it saves a lot of time.
 
Wow. I'm actually almost done with something very similar but mine has legs. Mine is PVC and netting as well. Never considered it floating which is very cool. Lowes and home depot are both out of the elbow pieces I need to complete it. This is a really really nice design.
 
Where would someone find that mesh. I was looking for some but all I found was thin strip rolls for covering gutters.

Thanks
 
home D **** or L**** has it by the roll.....
Where would someone find that mesh. I was looking for some but all I found was thin strip rolls for covering gutters.

Thanks
 
I made one with metal screen wire. Yours is much better! I put the screen on the top instead of putting it in the center. I like having it above the water so I can see what's there and it's easy to push down to sift the sand and dirt out. Great job!

001.webp
 
I'm definitely going to look for that vexar plastic screen when I go back for my PVC elbows. In lieu of metal mesh, I have bird netting. Feels very strong and the holes seem small enough, but again, I think your screen looks more substantial.
 
Good job. Well done.
 
Leighton, you are very talented to have made such a great looking sifter!

Casper is a good friend to have helped you with the parts.

Good luck using it out there!

Lorraine
 
That looks professionally done, job well done in my book.
 
wow thank all of you treasure hunters for the kudos... Now I need to see a nice glimmer of that yellow stuff on the bottom of it and it will have been all worth it... Happy Hunting
 
Whydah, it won't take you long to put some gold in that sifter ..you've been on a roll for a while now.

Lorrainde
 
Whydah, it won't take you long to put some gold in that sifter ..you've been on a roll for a while now.

Lorrainde
Hello Lorraine, Thanks for that confidence.... seems like we have to go deeper and deeper now for the stuff that counts
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom