Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Just got back from an overseas mission and wanted to share a few more digs from the British camp. 2 weeks ago I linked up with DownNDirty for a bit of pit sifting at the 30th Regiment of Foot camp that produced my nicest pewter to date. Multiple outings with the DEUS/CTX/AT pro have cleared most targets, but iron is still masking a few relics. After swinging for a few hours I did manage a few small pieces of camp lead in 18Khz as well as curious carved lead round ball...looks like an acorn to me.

20161213_123114.jpg20161213_123059.jpg20161213_123056.jpg

Also did recover a partial musket sling buckle nearby as well as a large lead ingot

20161213_122735.jpg20161213_122754.jpg20161213_122816.jpg20161213_124914.jpg20161213_124908.jpg

As the XP grew quiet I joined Glenn for some serious sifting. Between the two of us, we cleared a ton of dirt. Every 3rd sift we would switch places, with the understanding that whatever relics appeared during your turn would be yours.

First out was another buckle- probably horse tack variety with a killer patina.

20161213_122607.jpg20161213_122619.jpg

Also recovered my favorite relic of the day- copper wax seal with a bit of silver wash still intact.

20161213_122945.jpg20161213_122949.jpg

It is common to find these without the stamp portion as many were destroyed after the death of the individual to prevent "assuming" the identity of that seal.

This curious piece of iron didn't look like much until after electrolysis-

20161213_122513.jpg20161213_122523.jpg

Suspect it is the counter-guard to a late 1600s/early 1700s short sword/dagger.

Also recovered this pottery shard that was turned into a game piece or pendant

20161213_123323.jpg20161213_123326.jpg

This small piece of pewter is a bit of a mystery- perhaps the remnants of a small ring

20161213_123201.jpg20161213_123215.jpg

Finally a pair of furniture tacks rounded out the non-ferrous recoveries

20161213_123241.jpg

Here's a group shot of the day's recoveries at the 30th camp

20161213_125013.jpg20161213_130231.jpg

Now fast forward to Sunday's low tide- given my 2 week hiatus I had to get a hunt in. My first target didn't disappoint. 1852 TRIME...number 3 for the year!

20161213_124737.jpg20161213_124800.jpg

She is ruff, but you should have seen it before 3 hours of careful cleaning lol

Also managed a small decorative tack/boss and a small ball button

20161213_123601.jpg20161213_123611.jpg20161213_123526.jpg20161213_123520.jpg

Here's the group shot from the short hunt

20161213_125316.jpg

As they say location, location, location- Sunday's site doesn't hold a candle to the Rev goodies, but hard to complain with silver in my pocket!

As always thanks for looking and good luck rounding out 2016!

Last edited:
Upvote 33
Wow! Nice relics buddy!! I have yet to dig a trime. Soooooon I hope lol.

Another great hunt, VMI! Still looking for my first trime. Noticing what looks like a bent base or pedestal on the lead "acorn", the first thing I thought of was a chess pawn or bishop.

Quite a few trimes posted this year, goodluck checking that one off the bucket list in 2017

Excellent finds! Really like the carved lead. :icon_thumright:

Killer finds VMI. I love that carved lead. Amazing details...... Wish i could help with an ID, but whatever its purpose, its a super-nice find.
I like the plumb-bob idea, but that thing looks small, and i might would want something a little heavier so it wouldnt blow in the wind.

Id be happy with a trime in any condition.

Hard to say about the sword hand-guard. Ive found a few fragments, and all were brass. The 2 upper grip pieces i have found did have a rectangular shaped hole.

Love the ring thing. My guess is, a ring. Looks similar to some brass trade rings that i have seen.

Thanks bud, it's definitely a curious piece- plumb bob was my initial guess but it does seem possible that it was carved by a soldier into a chess/game piece was well. Based on the size could certainly be a carved round ball

Great finds on the hunted out site, VMI. Congrats! Hey, I am going to be down in Bluffton for January and February and would be great to get together for a hunt some time with you guys in the low country. I am doing some research on sites as well and already have permission on an old plantation site. Let me know if you are interested.

Great finds on the hunted out site, VMI. Congrats! Hey, I am going to be down in Bluffton for January and February and would be great to get together for a hunt some time with you guys in the low country. I am doing some research on sites as well and already have permission on an old plantation site. Let me know if you are interested.

Absolutely, I'll PM you my contact info and we can get a group of lowcountry diggers together

Thanks bud, it's definitely a curious piece- plumb bob was my initial guess but it does seem possible that it was carved by a soldier into a chess/game piece was well. Based on the size could certainly be a carved round ball

You know, when you turn it upside down it really does look like a chess pawn that is missing the base. Pretty cool

20161213_123056.jpg

You know, when you turn it upside down it really does look like a chess pawn that is missing the base. Pretty cool

View attachment 1391446

A carved game piece does seem plausible given the length of occupation, no way to be sure. I like the story so I'm sticking to in

Thanks John, let me know if you'd like to link up again soon... picking up snake boots for Xmas lol

Just read your post as we were out of town for daughter's graduation from college (again!). I got out last weekend to a site I'd been to before. 8 hours of swinging and I felt it the next day! LOL Anytime you want to to link up just shoot me a text. I am actually back on a normal Mon-Fri work schedule again. Yahhhhh!

Got some map overlay work to do on our project. Since it's finally getting colder that should finally take care of the skeeters..and your need for those boots! Always good to have though. Got some other stuff in the works too. Shoot me a call anytime and I'll fill ya in on all of the updates.

This post got away from me. Great day man! I'm a big fan of those sling buckles, and that dagger guard is an excellent piece.

Also, that game piece is a very special find. It certainly has some age judging by the design.

Just read your post as we were out of town for daughter's graduation from college (again!). I got out last weekend to a site I'd been to before. 8 hours of swinging and I felt it the next day! LOL Anytime you want to to link up just shoot me a text. I am actually back on a normal Mon-Fri work schedule again. Yahhhhh!

Got some map overlay work to do on our project. Since it's finally getting colder that should finally take care of the skeeters..and your need for those boots! Always good to have though. Got some other stuff in the works too. Shoot me a call anytime and I'll fill ya in on all of the updates.

Glad to see you back in the dirt John, congrats on cherry picking the only military button on Saturday :laughing7:

Glad to see you back in the dirt John, congrats on cherry picking the only military button on Saturday :laughing7:

It was certainly a day of mixed emotions. Happy with the find but depressed the guy who invites me didn't get one......that time! I do seem to recall a few stellar finds by you though the other times we've hunted and I came up empty (like EVERY other time!) :laughing9:

For the sake of sharing with everyone else; as I told you out there though, after all the times we've hunted together and I came up empty I was afraid you were beginning to think I couldn't find metal in a scrap yard! I called it "vindication". :laughing7:

Seriously though, thanks again so much for the invite and I'll get a pic up of the button as soon as I finish cleaning it.

p.s. For everyone else, VMI Digger DIDN'T exactly come up empty. He had some nice little finds.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back