Signal problems???

Trueghst

Greenie
Sep 23, 2009
Terrell, Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Upvote 0
Do the bricks give a signal, in an air test, once you have them out of the ground? Do you re-check the hole after removing the brick, to see if anything else was beneath (or beside) it?

If you're not getting a signal in an air test on the brick (indicating that something metal is in it), and you're no longer getting a signal out of the hole, then I think you've either got your sensitivity too high (thus blarring off the mineral content of the brick?) and you need to turn your sens. down. Oftentimes a hot-rock or cinder or something that gives a signal in the ground, ceases to give a signal (or at least, ceases to give an apparent easy signal) when doing an air test on the same object. The composure of the fixed settled setting, matrix of ground, moisture, etc.... can give a different signal in the air. Either way, this would mean your sens. is too high.

Another possibility is you're swinging wrong. The 250 is a motion (albeit sloooww motion) machine. What you classify as a "strong signal" could be a lousy signal to a proficient user, when swung right, isolated right, criss-crossed right, etc... I have seen this many times, when working with newbies, who insist they're hearing a signal, and chase it all over the field. But odd explanations come easily to life when I cross-check them for those persons. Anything as simple as the metal toe in their boots, a pipe going up the corner of the building (and they didn't know the front tip of their coil was sensitive), or they're trying to "stop" on the target, thus allowing it to "dissapear" (d/t lack of motion), or them trying to pinpoint the re-bound sounds of a larger target, etc.. etc... etc...

Your best bet is to hook up with a proficient 250 user in your area. Compare and trade off on signals, watch what they're listening for, pinpointing, etc... Because things like "sound" can not be described in printed text. It has to be shown and heard.

Thanks for the info.

I don't get any signal on the brick or from the hole after removal of the brick. What I meant by strong signal is that it will only flash between ring/coin, with the "bell" sound. I turned the sensitivity down to the lowest mark and still get the same when buried and nothing after dug up and removed. Hoping I don't have a faulty machine....find lots of coins in the playgrounds..just bad luck on this homesite.

Trueghst said:
I'm detecting around an old 1844 home...keep getting strong signals in the jewelry/coin range on my Ace 150. Each one I have dug has been nothing but old brick? Any ideas on why I'm getting this reading over scattered bricks? By the way..I'm new and very little experience.

Thanks,
Billy

If you don't think any of the above answers fit the bill, you might consider charcoal,
A common heating ellament in the old days, and bings like a hot rock...
Many times around old homesites pieces of coal will bing off... in amongst the bricks...
Maybe when you have a pile of bricks, and you remove one... the target then slides down
in a crevice under the next brick... now making the target out of range...
just some stuff to consider...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back