Silver and gold in the park

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit a local park where I have a report of a lost men's gold ring with diamonds. Was kind of in "clean up" mood digging everything that gave me repeatable, non-ferrous signals. First interesting find was an eiffle tower pin.

20180330_071105.jpg

No markings, probably just CZ. Kept digging trash and coins, until I got a signal I was pretty sure was a ferrous target very near a dime or copper penny. Locate and remove the sheet metal screw, dime/penny signal is still there. Feeling a bit proud of my self for correctly interpreting an odd signal, I dig a plug, and as I pull it out, I see a fine chain. Look at the clasp, and BOOM! 14k!!

20180330_070452.jpg

I am so excited to FINALLY find my first WILD gold, until realizing it was a total fluke... none of my detectors pick up anything but the clasp, and even then they have to be turned WAY up, and tell me it's a ferrous target.... I just HAPPENED to get lucky that there was a dime under it. I mean I know everyone says fine gold is hard to pick up, but I guess I figured some combination of coils on the Xterra 705 and 30 or the tiger shark would give me something more than having to dig literally EVERY target.

Anyways, more coins and trash, a small, unmarked but possibly silver knot ring, and then my girlfriend and her youngest son show up - he wants to help. So I give him the Xterra 30 I'd kinda been in the zone with and have to share my pinpointed and shovel, all of which actually slows me down rather than helping. I had both my 705 and tiger shark in the car, but the 705 has the 15" WOT DD 18.75kHz coil, which I knew would give me fits with all the trash, so I figure it's a learning experience with the tiger shark. Turn it on, and start to ground balance it, and it is WAY off. Takes me a few seconds to realize I never checked for targets, and looking down, I can see the outline of a silver colored ring almost completely burried. Pull it out, and sure enough, there's a 925.

20180329_155442.jpg

So not the item I was ultimately looking for, but plenty of change and some precious metals. Girlfriend is going to take things in to the jewelry store she does books for next week to check metals and stones, so hopefully some of them are more than just Crystal or cz.

20180329_155138.jpg

The park used to be home to the old school, so I was hoping I might find an old coin or two, but no such luck on that front...

Upvote 11
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice silver finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet silver and first wild gold.
Congrats!

I have gotten silver rings that had diamonds in them, small ones, but still diamonds.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AH OLE PARIE OR PARIS. ANYWAY DANG NICE FINDS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread