Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Finally managed to finish the research and choose the right pictures for the second and final part of the post about my 3 weeks stay in Europe.
For those of you who are wondering if I participate in any detecting rallies or hunt with some detecting club while traveling, I don't. All of the finds were discovered without any prior knowledge of the areas, using on the ground research only,with lots of door knocking and almost as much hit and miss.

Here are my favorite finds of the trip from the period spanning from the Middle Ages to the Modern era.

Medieval period 400-1500 A.D.

Denier of Saint-Denis Abbey for Charles the Bald, king of West Francia from 840-877
Probably my favorite coin and the oldest silver I have ever found.
31.JPG 32.JPG

I was extremely happy finding it as the coins and relics from that period are pretty scarce. Charles the Bald was the king during the infamous raids on Paris, the capital of West Francia by the Vikings under the leadership of Ragnar and Rollo. The movie adapted version of Charles the Bald is featured in the TV series The Vikings (for those of you who have seen it).
40.jpg

My favorite relic of this trip was this zoomorphic annular brooch from 1200-1300's
20.jpg

It features three snakes circling each other with cabochon blue and white stones set as eyes. It's very surprising to find it intact after 800 years spent in the ground. A unique and unusual find, just the way I like them :laughing7:
21.JPG 25.JPG

An other good find in my books was a first one for me.
Medieval seal matrix 1300-1400's
28.JPG
27.JPG

The legend reads : S' GVILL ELOVDET CLC
latin: SIGILLUM GUILLAUME ELOUDET CLERICI
english: SEAL OF GUILLAUME ELOUDET - CLERIC

Got a few Medieval silver coins.

Hammered English long cross penny of Edward the first or second 1300-1327 A big surprise as I was nowhere near England, a first one for me.
29.JPG 30.JPG

Obole Thibaut IV of Champagne 1200-1253 A pretty rare coin as only a limited quantity of oboles were made.
22.JPG 23.JPG

Obole Parisis, Philippe IV 1285-1314
38.JPG 39.JPG

Double tournois, Philippe VI de Valois 1338
18.JPG 19.JPG

A few partial silver and billon coins,some aren't in the pic
24.JPG

A few cool relics

A believe a part of a dagger. Unsure of the period, but I would say pre-1500's I was intrigued by the cross design on one side and some mystical creature on the other.
10.jpg 9.jpg

And the dagger guard. Again with crosses.
8.jpg

Late Medieval and Modern period.

A few coin weights.

Angelot 14th-16th century
35.JPG

Spanish coin weigh for 2 Reales 17th-18th century
34.JPG 33.JPG

Two 1600's rings. Both I believe feature the cross of St-Andrew
4.jpg 11.jpg

A Capsulae again from 1600's (a large belt decoration sometimes worn by women)
41.jpg 42.jpg

A few brooches and buckles. The one on the left in the shape of an amphora might actually be Roman.
13.jpg 3.jpg

A large 1700's shoe buckle (would have expected to find one over here, would make my day:laughing7:)
36.jpg

Some ''modern'' silver. My first Napoleon Bonaparte 1 Franc coin 1809
2.jpg 1.jpg

Some other silvers. Napoleon III 1 Franc and Napoleon I half Franc
6.jpg

Some Napoleonic wars German States copper coins.
7.jpg

Some Revolutionary and latter period buttons
14.jpg 15.jpg

And an other surprising find. On one of the hunts got a partial Roman Dupondius of Augustus and Agrippa 10-14 A.D. A week or so later 20 miles away got a second half that seems to fit. I can't imagine both of those being from the same coin, but I found the coincidence pretty funny.
16.jpg 17.jpg
37.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
Upvote 66

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't even pick my jaw up off the floor. Ridiculous amount of history you just found.:notworthy:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Wow! Talk about a productive vacation. Way cool finds. Congrats on an amazing old haul. I hope the detect Europe someday.

My brother and I detected South Carolina for a week a couple weeks back. Same deal as you, no detecting meetups, etc. It was tough! We found a few 1700s/1800s buttons but that was it for pre-1900 goodies. Figuring it out on your own isn’t always as easy as you might think. I’m impressed!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Anton, thanks for taking the time to find and prepare all that amazing stuff. Research takes time. Your love for the hobby is quite apparent and your post is incredible as usual. That zoomorphic ring is probably my favorite, especially with all the stones intact and unbroken!!! And of course the seal matrix was a close second for me. Way to go bruddah!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All very nice finds. That chess-piece style Seal Matrix is a little later at 14th C.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can't even pick my jaw up off the floor. Ridiculous amount of history you just found.:notworthy:

Thanks man. I was really lucky this time.

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS, its an Ed I Penny - London Mint.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding!!!!Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!! Killer 3 week hunt!!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post and finds. I do not even know where to begin. Love the show "Vikings" and had no idea that the characters depicted were real. I need to read up on my history. Epic hunt and adventure is an understatement.
What was your favorite find if I may ask?

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great post and finds. I do not even know where to begin. Love the show "Vikings" and had no idea that the characters depicted were real. I need to read up on my history. Epic hunt and adventure is an understatement.
What was your favorite find if I may ask?

Thanks Tnmountains. It's hard to chose one, but I would probably go for that annular brooch followed by the Charles the Bald denier and the Merovingian horse head buckle from my previous post. It's so hard to find the medieval bronze jewellery encrusted with stones in such a great conservation state that when I discovered the brooch I knew my trip was worth it.

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anton, thanks for taking the time to find and prepare all that amazing stuff. Research takes time. Your love for the hobby is quite apparent and your post is incredible as usual. That zoomorphic ring is probably my favorite, especially with all the stones intact and unbroken!!! And of course the seal matrix was a close second for me. Way to go bruddah!!!

Thanks Steve, it's very kind of you. I knew you'll like that brooch and for the seal I sure hope to find a similar one in Canada one day.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT is a Banner Day!!!! Rarity, quality, and quantity!
Hard to believe the condition of everything........
I'm voting "Banner"!

Iowa Dale

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What great finds,I love that brooch and those coins are striking.
Banner finds abound.
Congrats

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for sharing. Fantastic post !!! Fantastic finds !!! Congrats !!!

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research my friend. You just don't go out and find Historic coins and relics by just swinging a detector. Your finds are a prime example of how important research is. Fantastic finds indeed and I congratulate you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread