Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the house guests left and the rain arrived big time. It rained too hard to make detecting practical on land and it is still too cold to do the water so I has to wait. It finally stopped long enough to get out for 3 hours at the closest park. I needed a few more dollars to make this my 4th best year mark and I figured with short time this was my best shot. My year ends April 30th so only one more day left after this one.

DAY 1
This park has been well covered. It is in a small town and the sports fields see regular use, but not a lot of other things go on here so if you know which spots spectators use where you can find a few things. Otherwise you could swing your detector for hours and not find anything. I know the park well and I did find 76 coins with a face value of $6.32, a ring, a wheatie, a key, a toy car, some tabs and bits of can slaw.

0935BCAF-6980-4FD8-9735-1ABCC0FD12B1.jpeg

The ring was a nice surprise. It was on the edge of a gravel parking lot in some dirt mixed with gravel. It got dented up some, but the stone is still in great shape. The ring is silver and the stone tests right between topaz and sapphire. Since sapphire is harder and less likely to get damaged I am calling it a sapphire. I can’t find anything about this maker’s mark, so not sure how old it is and all the ones of the same design I see on line for sale are bing call vintage and have a white CZ and not a gem stone. If you can help with the jeweler’s mark I would appreciate any help you can give.
(The stone is a nice deep blue, but it doesn’t show up well in the pictures.)

8C05A113-E0B9-4CC3-82C3-3309B7660B89.jpeg

F6F8F72A-F332-4305-9DD2-1E65A4686595.jpeg

The wheatie is a little beat up from being near the gravel parking and is a 1919. It’s always nice to find 100 year old coins even if they are only wheaties.

EEA431D8-EA7B-48B0-BE5F-1B0884BABB21.jpeg

DAY 2
It was the weekend so I went back to the civil war bullet school to try a new area. It was calling for rain all day, but it was my last day on this year so I geared up and went hoping to find a few goodies, before I got soaked and too muddy to work.

I managed 4 hours and found 35 coins with a face value of $2.69, a toy car, a silver dime, a wire clamp, a badly mangled stainless spoon with a bakelite handle, some tabs and a normal assortment of junk.

F3CA4DBA-7F78-42B8-AC9F-8A6DA34E624A.jpeg

The dime is a 1952 Rosie. It is decently worn and saw a lot of use before it was lost. The ground it was in was damp and it was black all over. As soon as I saw it I knew it had to be silver. Clad dimes do NOT come out of the ground black.

7C2ECCB2-D753-4755-8DF1-C67556438474.jpeg

So that ends my year. The last 2 hunts both had silver so a good ending indeed. I will get my year totals and highlights ready to post soon. It is calling for a rain and snow mix for 3 days straight so I’m not sure when I will get out next to start the new year. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Upvote 19

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring.

The mark is for S.P. Lindwold of North Canton, Ohio. They’ve been around since about 1958 but now owned by Suarez Industries Inc. and have been trading as 'Lindenwold Fine Jewellers' since 1968.

I think it unlikely that’s a real sapphire though. The company has only occasionally used natural stones but is well known for its use of synthetics.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well the house guests left and the rain arrived big time. It rained too hard to make detecting practical on land and it is still too cold to do the water so I has to wait. It finally stopped long enough to get out for 3 hours at the closest park. I needed a few more dollars to make this my 4th best year mark and I figured with short time this was my best shot. My year ends April 30th so only one more day left after this one.

DAY 1
This park has been well covered. It is in a small town and the sports fields see regular use, but not a lot of other things go on here so if you know which spots spectators use where you can find a few things. Otherwise you could swing your detector for hours and not find anything. I know the park well and I did find 76 coins with a face value of $6.32, a ring, a wheatie, a key, a toy car, some tabs and bits of can slaw.

View attachment 2081496

The ring was a nice surprise. It was on the edge of a gravel parking lot in some dirt mixed with gravel. It got dented up some, but the stone is still in great shape. The ring is silver and the stone tests right between topaz and sapphire. Since sapphire is harder and less likely to get damaged I am calling it a sapphire. I can’t find anything about this maker’s mark, so not sure how old it is and all the ones of the same design I see on line for sale are bing call vintage and have a white CZ and not a gem stone. If you can help with the jeweler’s mark I would appreciate any help you can give.
(The stone is a nice deep blue, but it doesn’t show up well in the pictures.)

View attachment 2081497

View attachment 2081498

The wheatie is a little beat up from being near the gravel parking and is a 1919. It’s always nice to find 100 year old coins even if they are only wheaties.

View attachment 2081499

DAY 2
It was the weekend so I went back to the civil war bullet school to try a new area. It was calling for rain all day, but it was my last day on this year so I geared up and went hoping to find a few goodies, before I got soaked and too muddy to work.

I managed 4 hours and found 35 coins with a face value of $2.69, a toy car, a silver dime, a wire clamp, a badly mangled stainless spoon with a bakelite handle, some tabs and a normal assortment of junk.

View attachment 2081500

The dime is a 1952 Rosie. It is decently worn and saw a lot of use before it was lost. The ground it was in was damp and it was black all over. As soon as I saw it I knew it had to be silver. Clad dimes do NOT come out of the ground black.

View attachment 2081501

So that ends my year. The last 2 hunts both had silver so a good ending indeed. I will get my year totals and highlights ready to post soon. It is calling for a rain and snow mix for 3 days straight so I’m not sure when I will get out next to start the new year. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring.

The mark is for S.P. Lindwold of North Canton, Ohio. They’ve been around since about 1958 but now owned by Suarez Industries Inc. and have been trading as 'Lindenwold Fine Jewellers' since 1968.

I think it unlikely that’s a real sapphire though. The company has only occasionally used natural stones but is well known for its use of synthetics.
Thanks for the great info. Since a synthetic sapphire is chemically the same as a real one the hardness tester probably cant tell the difference. At least it is better than glass or a CZ.

Thanks again, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds!! Feel free to send some rain this way! Our ground is too hard already!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!! Feel free to send some rain this way! Our ground is too hard already!
I’d be happy to send the rain your way if I could. Right now it is snowing and the grass is covered. It should warm up this afternoon and melt it all, but it has snowed overnight the past 3 nights in a row. Enough already.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread