Silver at low tide slope today...Peruvian silver ( maybe)

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi :hello:

It warmed up to 41* around noon today , so to beach I headed to follow out the low tide; hunted mostly the wet sand slope and then the "muddy flats" for the final hour.

Anyone ever hear of "JIJAE" handcrafted jewelry? Couldn't find much on it, but from what I did read, I believe this pretty silver bracelet is Peruvian hand -hammered.

Silver bracelet was about 8" deep in wet sand: silver "Roosie" and "52 "wheatie" were about 4 " deep; those muddy flats looked and felt like wet concrete when I dug into them...there goes my back again:BangHead:

Here's some pics of today's 3 1/2 hr. hunt.
Thanks for looking

and thanks to ADM for fixing the photo problem:hello2:

Lorraine

DSCF2761.JPG

DSCF2762.JPG

DSCF2763.JPG

Interesting to me is that each square link and each elongated link has a "925 " and "jijae" stamped into it.

DSCF2771.JPG

DSCF2768.JPG

DSCF2770.JPG

DSCF2772.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bracelet!! All precious metal jewelry imported into this country, as with pretty much anything else is required by law to have the country of origin marked on it. It isn't hand-hammered, the links and parts with the stones are made by casting in a mold and then riveted together with little pins. It is hard to ID American jewelry maker's marks since although we are required to mark our jewelry that is to be sold it is not required that we register our marks in most states. I have made thousands of pieces of jewelry in the last 35 years and I use my initials or last name as my mark and you will not find those marks in any reference book or site. If you ever find one of mine it will be marked "G.E.P." or "G.E. POWELL". For a few years I added a little lizard stamp to some pieces. It is not required for students or hobbyists to mark their jewelry made of precious metals if the items are not for sale. This is why many totally unmarked silver hand made rings are found.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find lorraine :icon_thumleft:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the silver and congratulation on the clean, i'm always enjoy with your post, i wish you luck in 2014, with much happiness.
Your friend Hamid.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the info and clarification on my bracelet find, gunsil; much appreciated.

Lorraine

Nice bracelet!! All precious metal jewelry imported into this country, as with pretty much anything else is required by law to have the country of origin marked on it. It isn't hand-hammered, the links and parts with the stones are made by casting in a mold and then riveted together with little pins. It is hard to ID American jewelry maker's marks since although we are required to mark our jewelry that is to be sold it is not required that we register our marks in most states. I have made thousands of pieces of jewelry in the last 35 years and I use my initials or last name as my mark and you will not find those marks in any reference book or site. If you ever find one of mine it will be marked "G.E.P." or "G.E. POWELL". For a few years I added a little lizard stamp to some pieces. It is not required for students or hobbyists to mark their jewelry made of precious metals if the items are not for sale. This is why many totally unmarked silver hand made rings are found.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Lorraine.

Nice way to end the year. :)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lovely bracelet, and your temps are pretty nice too.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll hang in there till that last scoop, won't ya? Way to end the year Lorraine! :headbang:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the silver coin and bracelet. I wanted to get out today, but couldn't make it happen. Maybe Saturday.
You do great cleaning job on your finds and I see some clad, also & Wheaties.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good looking hunt Lorraine and a sweet ticket. WTG

Do you use electrolysis to clean any of your silver ? On some of my really bad silver finds I will, before I do a baking soda rub.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thank you, fsa,

On heavily tarnished jewelry I use electrolysis; however , on this piece, the tarnish was of the sticky, "tarry" type which needed only Tarn-X soaks and baking soda scrubs ( many repetitions).

This type of tarnish is more difficult to clean than the "crusty" type that just falls off or can be picked off after electrolysis.

HH
Lorraine

Good looking hunt Lorraine and a sweet ticket. WTG

Do you use electrolysis to clean any of your silver ? On some of my really bad silver finds I will, before I do a baking soda rub.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread