Silver Bracelet found July 3rd (so its "the other days finds")

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally I find something worth posting about! I was out on July 3rd with a couple of friends hunting an old school thats been pounded by us locals and got some signals on my CTX that bounced from silver numbers to all kinds of other numbers, lots of junk in the area but it was not consistently a silver TID like rings normally give me.

It was only 3 inches down so I dug it and was quite surprised to see this shiny silver bracelet pop out. The odd thing is, I could find no .925 or Sterling markings on it, but it definitely came out of the ground like a silver coin, shiny with no corrosion, tested it with a magnet and its nonmagnetic and it has that nice silver sound we love to hear with I mingled it with a silver coin. It weighed 1 ounce exactly on my scale.

I was very happy to see this since I've been on a silver slump for awhile now, and it has a nice design on it. IF anyone out there happens to know anything about the type of design, or why a silver bracelet wouldn't have a marking on it I'd be happy to know. I have heard that some older jewelry may not have a sterling or 925 on it. Anyway thanks for looking, and I know this forum is "Todays finds" but I couldn't post it with pictures from my cell phone and have been having trouble with the computers.

We have been having quite a hot spell here in Oregon the last 10 days so I haven't been out much lately but hope to get out more soon and hopefully have something cool to post again! GL & HH everyone!

The silver quarter was just used for size comparison and was not found on this hunt. I had cleaned the bracelet trying to find a 925 or sterling, anything that states as fact its SILVER, but I am completely sure it is, although I have not had it tested.

2015-07-06 11.54.05.jpg 2015-07-06 12.00.39.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 6

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Congrats! It sure looks like silver!

There was some kind of test having to do with cold & silver, it's been posted before, I can't remember where it was on here.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the bracelet, glad to see you post some finds. Isn't this a great hobby?

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice piece of shiny there

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One way to tell if it's silver is to spit on it a little and then rub that area with aluminum foil.
If it smells like rotten eggs then it's real silver.
This works becasue silver tarnish reacts with aluminum to form aluminum oxide and hydrogen sulfide.
Spit acts as an electrolyte to allow the reaction. :laughing7:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NICE BRACELET .

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice bracelet! I cleaned badly tarnished old silver coins in England like my William III love token with the aluminum foil trick, but I just used plain tap water. I think the silver needs to be tarnished. Push the foil down against the silver with your finger--best to use a thin foil. It will get warm and smell like rotten eggs. It'll remove the tarnish if there is any quite well. I forgot about this trick.

OP
OP
McClod

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the bracelet, glad to see you post some finds. Isn't this a great hobby?

Thank you Loco-Digger! Yes, this hobby is great! Better still now that I finally got a T handle lesche sampson 31 inch shovel!

Undermine and Erik in NJ, Thanks to both of you for the great tip on how to tell if an item is silver, I'll try it out!

Thanks everyone for looking, and I sure appreciate everyone's comments!! HH & GL!

OP
OP
McClod

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find! Congrats! It sure looks like silver!

There was some kind of test having to do with cold & silver, it's been posted before, I can't remember where it was on here.

Thank you Msbeepbeep, I'll search to see if I can find it, maybe it's similar to the method mentioned here. Thank you for your comments!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread