Silver Coin Depths

At what depth do you find most of your silver coins?

• 1-2 inches

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7-8 inches

• greater than 8 inches

• Total voters

DeadLizard7

Dec 16, 2004
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab 705
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few silver coins out here in the Southwest (CO, NM). Most are about 3 or 4 inches but I have found a silver mercury dime (and a few others) pretty much just on top of the ground at a secluded place in town. There really is no general range in my opinion, it depends on many variables.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've found two silver halfs at LESS THAN one inch this year. Both were in locations that had the ground moved by heavy equipment. Both sounded like cans in my headphones, might explain why they were passed over. Even in undisturbed areas around my hunting grounds, the clay layer is at the 6 inch mark and not much of anything sinks below the clay.

O

Oddfello

I have only found 1 silver quarter thus far and it was at 8".

F

Floater

I found My first silver quarter about a week ago and it was at least 8 inches laying flat. 1936. I believe it was really about nine.The soil conditions were a demo site and it was sandy mix bit this area was toward the swale so the area had not really been disturbed,in other words a true depth.Of course I use a MineLab .HH

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin depths do depend on a lot. I've been at this for a little over 30 yrs and have found barber dimes at an inch and rosies at 7" or so. Hard soil in shaded areas seem to keep coins near the surface sometimes but I have found loose soil in the woods where coins sink very deep. When I hunt a new spot and find very dense soil I am glad to see it. Finding rich black soil means the coins could be 8" or more deep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread