misc068.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 494

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Looks like the lead musket balls I've found. For some reason, some come out of the ground pretty much the way they went in. At least the unfired ones.

Daryl

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The standard industry classification for the steel in these bearings is 52100, which means that it has one percent chromium and one percent carbon (called alloys when added to the basic steel). This steel can be made very hard and tough by heat treating. Where rusting might be a problem, bearings are made from 440C stainless steel.

Is it magnetic? Can you scratch it with your thumbnail (aka "the lead test").

Looks like a 1" ball bearing. Hardness would be the key quality to check for.

Upvote 0

Foilman

Aug 17, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandito II uMax
Being that I was bought up in farming and you found it on a farm, It is probably out of a wheel bearing. We use to have to put bearings in wheels of disc harrows, planters, etc. and the old combines my father had would hardly go around the field a few times without one going bad. Not just wheel bearings, there must be 100 or more bearings in one combine.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
littlebird13

littlebird13

Feb 21, 2006
UPSTATE N.Y.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
thanks for all the replies.

some good ideas of what it is.

its not magnetic and I can't scratch it with finger I scratched it with knife it is bright silver colored

Upvote 0

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
If you can scratch it with a knife then it's not a ball bearing. Ball bearings are hardened steel (very hard) and not easily scratched (unless you use carbide or something harder).

Bluezman

PS could be a stainless steel ball from a ball mill.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gypsyheart,

If you can wield a slingshot capable of hurling a 1" steel ball bearing fast enough to hit and kill a crow you are one mean motor scooter! What would that weigh? About two, two and a half ounces? Get that moving at 200 fps (the speed of a wood arrow in a good bow) and you could take down deer!

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Gypsyheart,

If you can wield a slingshot capable of hurling a 1" steel ball bearing fast enough to hit and kill a crow you are one mean motor scooter! What would that weigh? About two, two and a half ounces? Get that moving at 200 fps (the speed of a wood arrow in a good bow) and you could take down deer!

I am deadly with it! Cant shoot in town so I had to learn to be really good with the wristrocket! Pegged a crow off the top of the neighbors chimney from across the street last 4th of July! Hahahaha....Even I was amazed when it stopped dropped and rolled ! :D :D

Upvote 0

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I thought it might have been a ball that went inside of a large crotal bell. Most of those I believe were made out of iron and it would have been rusty, not silver in color. I'm gonna go with one of gypsyhearts first wild shots that missed a crow in a tree top. Swizzle

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
gypsy---- those wrist rockets with the 1/4 inch steel ball bearings that are normally sold as ammo for them are a deadly combo --- it can and will take small game like crows all day long and even rabbits (using head shots) at reasonible ranges ---with a bit practice you can be quite deadly with one (as you know)---Ivan

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there is no ballistic computer in the known universe as good as the human mind and do not doubt the crow croaking, but with a 1" steel ball? 1/4" I'm all over, maybe even 3/8" . . . even 1/2". But 1"? That's cannon fodder, not slingshot.

Still . . .

Attachments

• CrowKiller.jpg
    CrowKiller.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread