Silver dipped IHP?

Jan 31, 2022
Have worked the bases of 2 old buildings that torn down...to make way for a brew pub (which will be nice). Good dirt. This 1906 IPD surprised me on Sunday when it flipped it out. about 4" down. Certainly sounded more like and had IHP #s (E-Trac), but seeing the back first I thought for sure it was a dime. I used warm water to remove most of the dirt, so would say the dark areas are where the silver (assuming) wash came off. Looking for input. I have a Large cent like this (not found). Not sure why people would do it. Good site overall. Been 4 times since summer. Hopefully the pictures are OK. 3 tokens. 1st is a GF 5C Confectioners token from Beaverton. Morse & Thyne. The other two are 2 1/2 cent token from Portland. Kirchner and Hanna Turn Halle Cafe. My oldest IHP, 1976 which I am keyed on. 2 more IHP's in bad shape. Need to work on the 1 pictured, (reverse). It has a small date (1 other not pictured). 2 Lincolns, 1916-S, and 1 in rough cond. (not pictured). A nice 1917-S Buff. 1 other Buff so corroded I tossed it. Also eyeballed a clay marble. Hopefully silver lurking!

Also, I have been registered for almost 20 years. Major lurker, and only a handful of posts over the year. I guess I had not logged on for too long and had to re-sign up.

Cheers, Jim (OR)

Attachments

• 1906Obverse1.jpg
    1906Obverse1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 1906Reverse1.jpg
    1906Reverse1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 80
  • finds1.jpg
    finds1.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 12

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have worked the bases of 2 old buildings that torn down...to make way for a brew pub (which will be nice). Good dirt. This 1906 IPD surprised me on Sunday when it flipped it out. about 4" down. Certainly sounded more like and had IHP #s (E-Trac), but seeing the back first I thought for sure it was a dime. I used warm water to remove most of the dirt, so would say the dark areas are where the silver (assuming) wash came off. Looking for input. I have a Large cent like this (not found). Not sure why people would do it. Good site overall. Been 4 times since summer. Hopefully the pictures are OK. 3 tokens. 1st is a GF 5C Confectioners token from Beaverton. Morse & Thyne. The other two are 2 1/2 cent token from Portland. Kirchner and Hanna Turn Halle Cafe. My oldest IHP, 1976 which I am keyed on. 2 more IHP's in bad shape. Need to work on the 1 pictured, (reverse). It has a small date (1 other not pictured). 2 Lincolns, 1916-S, and 1 in rough cond. (not pictured). A nice 1917-S Buff. 1 other Buff so corroded I tossed it. Also eyeballed a clay marble. Hopefully silver lurking!

Also, I have been registered for almost 20 years. Major lurker, and only a handful of posts over the year. I guess I had not logged on for too long and had to re-sign up.

Cheers, Jim (OR)
Congratulations on your finds.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back to the forums and congrats on your finds.

Not wishing to be pedantic but, just in case some corrosion has caused you the misread the names on those Oregon tokens, and avoid any confusion, the issuers were:

MORSE & THYNG, not MORSE & THYNE
and
KIRCHNER & HANNO, not KIRCHNER & HANNA

George O. Thyng (mis-spelled as ‘Thingue’ for his first directory listing in 1906) was a shoemaker who also ran a confectionery business and sold cigars. Ray D. Morse had his own confectionery business, first listed as ‘merchant/confectionery & notions’ in 1910, as ‘confectionery & billiards’ in 1911 and then as ‘confectionery &c' in 1913. They’re only listed together in partnership as 'Morse & Thyng' in 1909 for ‘confectionery, pool & cigars’, so it seems to have been a short-lived partnership sometime in the 1908/9/10 period

Charles Kirchner and Henry Hanno are listed as sellers of wines and liquors between 1899-1915, in partnership as ‘Kirchner & Hanno’. The ‘Turn Halle’ (which means ‘gymnasium’ in German) has listings as both a ‘café’ and a ‘saloon’ at the same address. There are some shot glasses with their name on them kicking around which are printed “Turn Halle CafĂ© and Old Heidelberg” but it’s not clear if ‘Old Heidelberg’ refers to a separate saloon of that name, an adjoining bar area for the cafĂ©, an alcohol brand that they sold, or whatever.

OP
OP
B
Jan 31, 2022
Welcome back to the forums and congrats on your finds.

Not wishing to be pedantic but, just in case some corrosion has caused you the misread the names on those Oregon tokens, and avoid any confusion, the issuers were:

MORSE & THYNG, not MORSE & THYNE
and
KIRCHNER & HANNO, not KIRCHNER & HANNA

George O. Thyng (mis-spelled as ‘Thingue’ for his first directory listing in 1906) was a shoemaker who also ran a confectionery business and sold cigars. Ray D. Morse had his own confectionery business, first listed as ‘merchant/confectionery & notions’ in 1910, as ‘confectionery & billiards’ in 1911 and then as ‘confectionery &c' in 1913. They’re only listed together in partnership as 'Morse & Thyng' in 1909 for ‘confectionery, pool & cigars’, so it seems to have been a short-lived partnership sometime in the 1908/9/10 period

Charles Kirchner and Henry Hanno are listed as sellers of wines and liquors between 1899-1915, in partnership as ‘Kirchner & Hanno’. The ‘Turn Halle’ (which means ‘gymnasium’ in German) has listings as both a ‘café’ and a ‘saloon’ at the same address. There are some shot glasses with their name on them kicking around which are printed “Turn Halle CafĂ© and Old Heidelberg” but it’s not clear if ‘Old Heidelberg’ refers to a separate saloon of that name, an adjoining bar area for the cafĂ©, an alcohol brand that they sold, or whatever.
Thanks for the great info Red-Coat. Appreciated. An Oregon token expert did also advise me on the names and background, but I lost the info.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheers, Jim (OR)
Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread