Silver Dollar Cache

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
I found this cache a few years ago with my Explorer XS and just thought I would share it with every one. It consisted of 19 silver dollars with some in the late 1800's and the rest from the early 1900's. I believe the signal I picked up was the silver spicket on the crock. This property use to be an old moonshiners place.

Attachments

• IM000300.jpg
    IM000300.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,594
  • IM000294.jpg
    IM000294.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 2,574
OP
OP
detectoraddict

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
I was actually fieldtesting that coil for Kellyco at the time. Also was using a hipmount kit for the explorer

OP
OP
detectoraddict

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
74BRONC said:
How deep was it buried?
It was close to a foot but it was under that concrete thing. It just looked like an obvious place to put something and if it wasn't for that spicket on that crock I don't think I would of ever got it. The spicket was turned towards the out side and that what my coil picked up. Makes me mad that I broke the lid to the crock with the shovel.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
if it was a moonshiners place, unless he made sorry juice, there are most likely several more of these type stashes around......gldhntr

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Nice cache..Can't wait until I find one. Those Morgans sure are pretty. Great job, keep up the great work.

74BRONC

Oct 24, 2006
Addict
Im a little confused why do you say that if it wasn’t for the spigot you wouldn’t have ever found it?
Everything I have been led to believe has been that it doesn’t matter if the metal is in pottery that the metal detector will still pick up the metal and the metal doesn’t need to be in direct contact with the ground.

Is this right or wrong? Please explain.

T

TreasureTales

Holy crap!!! The brown jar is nice, the crock is cool, and those cartwheels (silver dollars) are totally awesome. What a great cache. That find must have made KellyCo very happy with you. Congratulations on a great find. I agree with another poster, there could be more caches around there.

OP
OP
detectoraddict

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75
74BRONC said:
Addict
Im a little confused why do you say that if it wasn’t for the spigot you wouldn’t have ever found it?
Everything I have been led to believe has been that it doesn’t matter if the metal is in pottery that the metal detector will still pick up the metal and the metal doesn’t need to be in direct contact with the ground.

This cache was buried in a way under that stone that only the spicket of the crock was pointing outer from under the stone. This was enough for the DD coil to see it. Coins buried in a crock like this will just add to the difficulty of the detector being able to pick it up.

kenb

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2004
Long Island New York
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I don't know how I missed this post, what a fantastic find!!!. My guess would be the crock was buried under the cement with the spigot sticking out a little, thats how that monster coil was able to pick up the signal. Congrats on the cache find, I would have wet my pants if I dug that!! LOL!

kenb

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
74BRONC said:
Addict

Detectoraddict is correct when he stated that coins found in a non metallic container are difficult to detect. Carl over on the Geotech forum did an interesting cache test. He buried 220 silver quarters at 24" in a non metallic container. The last time I looked he had not found a detector that could detect them. All types of detectors were used(he has 100 detectors)- high end VLF, 2 box, PI. Apparently the detectors are not seeing the coins as one mass. I imagine if the coins were melted together they probably would be detected.

George

D

Desert Rat

It probally has something to do, also, with the fact that the coins are in glass or at least not in contact with the soil. Wonder if those coins would be picked right up just thrown in the dirt. Or maybe a 200 year old fragmented, rotting, leather bag?

madfranks

May 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
WOW! It is my goal to one day find something like that! Awesome!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread