Silver for Beer?

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
Last night at work, I had to help out one of the cashiers with a problem. When she opened her cash drawer I noticed the bell of a Franklin half reverse, in the drawer. Stunned, I asked her, if the coin was in the drawer when she took it over. "No, I just got those." A guy came in and bought a 12 pack with 15 halves. 2 Walkers, 7 Franklins, and 6 clad. It was early, so I figured he would be back. Sure enough, a couple hours later, I was in that area, and saw a guy carrying a 12. I glanced at her and she gave me a head nod. I go over to watch this. He digs keep into his pocket and starts counting out 15 halves. When he finished I told him that I would give him a fair price for those. "Oh, you collect half dollars, do ya? You better get those, cause there are some good dates there."

I told him that I would be working Sunday night, if he wanted to bring them up to the store. What killed me is this guy talks about "good dates" like he knows some are more valuable. Then he spends his Walkers, before he used up all his clad. The second trip netting me 2 Walkers, 2 Franklins and a 40%er.

That reminds me, I need to call tonights cashiers.

Upvote 0
Stolen is a good possibility here. You might want to inquire with your local Police if there have been any recent robberies involving coins reported. Could save you from some trouble in the future.

Maine_Jim

Well I thought about that. All the coins have the same dirty look to them. Clad or silver. Not like the ones you find metal detecting either. That dirt will rinse right off. Even dirtier than what we find in coin rolls, for the most part. I'll post a scan and call the cops. I also wondered if possibly, a thief would sacifice a few to see who takes interest and then find out where they live, and voila, a new potential victim. Thanks guys.

Here goes,

Attachments

• scan0008.jpg
    scan0008.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 382
Police locally didn't have anything, but its possible they were stolen from Peoria or the Quad Cities, or anywhere. Maybe a couple years ago or more. Who knows. with all the possibilities, it is amazing police do as well as they do.

Owner might not know they are gone if you know what I mean. Stealing them from grandma is easy if she never looks at grandpa's collection. I wouldnt worry about it if the police dont have anything. Just make sure you cover your bases if the guy follows up with more. Meet in a place well away from your home and in public. Watch for someone following you once you head home. Never can be too safe.

Why call the cops? Coins don't have serial numbers and are not traceable. Now, I wouldn't buy anything that I know is stolen but coins are legal tender and it is perfectly legal to spend them. Get all you can before they dry up.

Most likely not stolen. Most likely inherited and just hasn't been to the bank yet to cash it all in.

Also some people just do not care...

And if he is spending them with you, there is a good chance he is also spreading them around elsewhere. It would be a good time to make a trip to the local banks as some businesses would probably just cash them in and not think twice about it.

If you can talk with him, ask him if he's spent a bunch in other places as well and maybe you can find some others that slip through to the bank.

Next time he comes in, why not just ask him if he has more and that you would like to have them if he wants to unload them.
rileyboy

Alcoholism is a powerfull addiction a couple of stupid old coins don't mean nu-thin when you,sa jone'sing.

Everything we find out there has a story.

Mojo

Calling the cops is like telling your woman you were cheating on her......no good will come of it.

I agree with Rileyboy, when you see him again just ask if he has more that he wants to get rid of. At worst he says no, but you never know he might have more and sell them to ya/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back