What's new

Silver for metal value? Please help the newbie!

tenseventyfive

Full Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2010
Messages
131
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Ok I have done quite a bit of reading here and it is quite intriguing. I don't really have any numismatic interest, but I WOULD love to hunt rolls for high silver % coins for resale to jewelers or whoever is looking to buy. With silver around $18 something an ounce, and likely to go much higher in future, I think it might be worth doing. So my question is, if I am looking to prospect for coins based purely on the high silver content, what should I look for, specifically? That is to say, look for half dollars pre-1970, or something? Same for quarters, dimes and nickels - again, I would JUST be looking for worth of silver, as opposed to certain coin-related characteristics. If someone could give me a little head start I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks in advance!
 
Upvote 0
You'd be looking for any dime, quarter or half dollar dated 1964 or older - they'll all be 90% silver.

Half dollars with 40% silver were made from 1965-1970.

35% silver nickels were made during the war as well - 1942-1945

Start with these. :thumbsup:
 
Awesome! Thanks guys - that's exactly what I was looking for! :coffee2:
 
Two things

1. Half the 1942 nickels are just nickel.

2. Some numismatic coins have value too. Might be worth keeping.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom