Silver From The Field!

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
We had an interesting week of detecting. First we went back to the field where I found the Scout Fob and Merc to give it another go. I did not find much but Diane found a nice 1899 Indian Head lying on top of the ground! A couple of days later we went to another field and the only thing of note was a button. We then went out to check another site and I could see the brick in the field from the car. Since this was in another county I was not sure who owned it but had a hunch that it was the same farmer who gave us permission for a lot of his fields. A quick drive back took us back to his equipment barn to check if anyone was there and fortunately his son was. I talked to him and he told me yes they owned that field too and to have at it. We did not have much time left so we quickly drove back and I quickly found two wheat cents and some artifacts but after 45 minutes we had to go. So a few days later we got back to it and the farmers son was discing the field but had already done the area we wanted to hunt, as he made another pass close to us I asked if it was a problem and he laughed and said go ahead so we started. Within a couple of minutes I got another wheat cent a crusty 1917. Making another line I got a bouncy 12-37 which turned out to be a very nice 1904 Indian. Diane had found a wheat cent a bit earlier. I found some buttons and some neat relics when Diane called me and gave me the silver signal I went over and she had dug a nice 1907 Barber Dime! After a while with just more buttons I got a good 12-46 13-47 signal and I was digging it when Diane called out and said she had a token or something. I went over leaving my stuff and saw she had a copper disc with a figure of a Standing Woman and the word Libertad above her. Looked amazingly like a version of the Standing Liberty Quarter, Diane came over to see what I had and out popped a silver disk the size of a quarter. I laughed and said Oh it is probably one of those Shell Tokens. She bent over for a closer look and said No that is definitely a Silver Quarter. Well she was right a beautiful Standing Liberty Quarter is what it was, clear date which at first almost looked like the rare 1918 over 1917 and I could tell it had a mint mark but could not see it clearly. The 1918 over 1917 is an S mint mark. It turns out to be the a very nice semi key 1918-D. Unfortunately a couple of scrapes slight mar the finish of this Extremely Fine condition coin but nevertheless it is still a beauty and I am glad to have it!

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1356.JPG
    IMG_1356.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1355.JPG
    IMG_1355.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 210
Upvote 4

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds Bell-Two. Ole Buddy. Love that SLQ. Awesome shape and a date. Wow.

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds!

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great selection of finds, it's cool when you can find different types of coins! Congrats.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice some big scores there! Haven't found any good SLQ in years, the ones I have found are ground to the base practically! Have you found out any more info on what the thing with "Libertad" is?

OP
OP
Bell-Two

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Very nice some big scores there! Haven't found any good SLQ in years, the ones I have found are ground to the base practically! Have you found out any more info on what the thing with "Libertad" is?

Nothing more than ethier a token or play money

OP
OP
Bell-Two

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
wow nice finds.. I need to find me a local field .. LOL

Look at the old maps and find house sites, do an overlay and see what is there now. If it is a field then find owner and get permission, generally not hard for fields then go to the field, look for old brick, glass, and heavy iron indications from your detector. Better hurry though crops will go in soon!

cashole

Mar 26, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did very good great detail on the slq some of the 1918 quarters had a misprint of a seven over the eight raising there value tremendously

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job!:thumbsup: I love being in a field where there's a chance to find coins and artifacts lying right on top of the ground. Nothing compares to that. :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions