Silver Goblets

DC

Jun 1, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro, Whites XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Golden Sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these goblets up at a small flea market. They are from India and have a halmark on the bottom of the base. The halmark is F and a 4 point star with an arrowpoint on each point of the star. I can find no info on this halmark, can anyone help me out. I don't have a test kit as of yet. I only paid $2 for the lot and they weigh 5.3 ozs each. Thanks for the help.

DC-N-SC

Attachments

• goblets.jpg
    goblets.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 1,911

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DC said:
They are from India and have a halmark on the bottom of the base. The halmark is F and a 4 point star with an arrowpoint on each point of the star. I can find no info on this halmark,
For household use you can't go wrong for $2

I trust nothing (except brass) if it says made in india. It look like one of the goblets has a sticker on the bottom. Probably says made in India. World wide if it does not say 925 or sterling it probably isn't. Anytime I am hunting and I see a sticker on the bottom I don't even look to see what it says I know it is not a PM.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, :icon_scratch: India is kinda famous for their Gold, Silver and precious stones. :icon_thumleft: I'd get them acid tested !! :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
India is kinda famous for their Gold, Silver and precious stones. :icon_thumleft: I'd get them acid tested !!

Yes, Indians love gold!!!!! but the dealers can't be trusted and that means the makers too. :icon_pirat:

A TV news show (might have been 60 min) did an expose on Indian gold sellers in NY city. They bought marked Indian gold and had it tested and it came up way short. Then they went back to the seller and confronted them for selling under karat. Interesting, I wish I paid more attention, this was before I got into PM's.

I got another fake heavy bracelet last week marked 14K ITALY they only wanted $5 so I took a gamble and lost. >:( It weighed 20-25 gr.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, :hello:

Yes Sadly counterfeit, fakes, con-artists, are a part of every country some worse than others. :( I lived in India for 6 months and saw lots of nice silver and gold items. :o I don't mean they just like gold they have real nice quality silver and gold stuff. :notworthy: True people did try to take advantage of people a lot but like yourself you have to know what your buying. :icon_thumleft: Marks are important to know for every country not just American marks! Your also right about not trusting stickers... :headbang:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Marks are important to know for every country not just American marks! Your also right about not trusting stickers.
Just because it is marked ITALY does not mean it was made in Italy. If some counterfiter is going to fake something he probalby will lie about the country mark also.

How many sales do you think he would make if he put:

14K CHINA ;D

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
DC said:
They are from India and have a halmark on the bottom of the base. The halmark is F and a 4 point star with an arrowpoint on each point of the star. I can find no info on this halmark,
For household use you can't go wrong for $2

I trust nothing (except brass) if it says made in india. It look like one of the goblets has a sticker on the bottom. Probably says made in India. World wide if it does not say 925 or sterling it probably isn't. Anytime I am hunting and I see a sticker on the bottom I don't even look to see what it says I know it is not a PM.

Trusting only the .925 mark or sterling mark is a mistake you'll pass lot of nice silver up.... :tongue3: Again all i'm saying is learning all the marks you can is important. :headbang: However 1000's and 1000's of marks world wide I don't think one person can learn them all.. :icon_thumleft: The Italy mark is likely the newest mark and its faked by lots of countries. You can find the Italy mark on real or fake jewelery your right. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :D ;D

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Trusting only the .925 mark or sterling mark is a mistake you'll pass lot of nice silver up....
I agree with you there. That is why I test everything. If I think something is silver (even if not marked) and it not marked I will offer 25¢ if they balk I tell them it is not marked and probably just base metal. If it is heavy and they still want silver price I will test it in front of them and weigh it. If it is silver then we bargain.

I was at a yard sale two days ago and they had 6-10 pieces of silver junk jewelry. I was talking to the helper who did not know prices. A lady next to me was talking to the owner of the jewelry. She had 4-5 pieces in her hand and asked how much. The owner said $100. I mumbled $100 out loud in shock and turned around and left I wasn't even going to waste my time. I am sure the lady heard me and hope she didn't waste her money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread