Silver, Gold, Diamonds, Unknown, and sheer stupidity

L

loganscott

Well, it was a beautiful 55 degrees here in Western Ky today, so, I decided to call the car wash and tell them I wouldn't be in. That works out well as I am the owner of the car wash and I'm generally not too hard on myself. Anyway, there is a local flea mkt that has been going for many years now and I just recently got permission to hunt it.
I got out of my truck when I arrived, turned on the old MD and put it to the ground. I never made a step before I got that lovely sound. I dug and came up with the 14 Carat Gold ring with the Cats eye stone in it. I was pumped. Then I noticed that the cats eye had a decent sized diamond on both sides, I was really pumped! I started to walk away and rethought. I hadn't double checked my hole. I ran the MD over it again and got the same sound. Surely not? I dug and came up with another ring, this one 13 Carat, no stones. (It's at the jeweler being buffed up for my wife, thats why it isn't in the pic). What are the odds, two rings, both gold from the same hole! Could it get any better? Well, one buckle, a 1950 drivers license pin (???), and four wheaties later I came across a Chinese coin, and a few feet away another. The second turned out to be counterfeit. The perfect day? Almost. A few minutes later my MD screamed gold. Turned out to be a 2000 Sacajawea Gold coin. Now it was the perfect day, or was it? As I walked back to my truck I got one more hit. I dug it and came up with the silver (color) wedding band you see in the pics. No markings, so I suppose it's not real silver. Still, three rings in one day? Then, as I prepared to get into my truck I picked up another screecher. My back was sore as heck and I argued with myself about even trying, but the old Metal detector in my brain said dig, so I dug. You can see what appears to be a rock in the pics. I have no clue what it is, but it is shiny, sparkly, and silver, and that's just one small hunk of it. The whole rock weighs about two pounds but isn't overly large. Very heavy. No clue what it is or what to do with it.
Regardless, this was my best day yet. Oh, the silver was an old silver coin that I couldn't make out the date on. I can barely make out the face on it so I didn't bother including it in the pic.
Now, for the sheer stupidity. After finally getting back to the car wash, I donned the gold ring so as not to misplace it. I wore it as I washed the cars alongside my employees. After we closed tonight, I looked down and the diamonds were gone. Washed away. DOH!!!! Ahh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. It was a great day regardless. Thanks for looking -----Jess

Attachments

• DSCN1932today.jpg
    DSCN1932today.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 672
  • DSCN1931today.jpg
    DSCN1931today.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 676
  • DSCN1929today.jpg
    DSCN1929today.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 658
Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi loganscott! Welcome to TNet!!

Great finds and intersting post. Thanks for sharing
and congrats on the two awesome gold rings.
There has to be more, go get it. Good luck!

Smiles!
BDoo

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you had a remarkable day. 3 rings in one day...yep, a remarkable day for you. ;D

;) RR

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs!

hh

lonewolfe

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Hey! You had a great day!

Don't worry about the diamonds.
I met a guy and his son detecting in an elementary school field a few years ago. He told me when he first got his detector he took it to
the beach and tested it out near the surf with his wedding band.

He buried the ring in the sand and got no signal. Just then the tide came in and bye bye ring.

Now thats "learning the hard way". ;)

HH and congratulations on the finds!

Ridley

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I think you need my nick name, LOL

Thanks for the pictures.

HH, Ringfinder

T

TreasureTales

So, what have you learned from your experience? What will you do with the next ring you find? Suggestion: don't go to work, don't wear the ring, don't even think about putting it into a pocket. Nope, put that puppy into a small container (like a film canister) and then put it in your pocket or into your treasure box (which most of us have with us when we go metal detecting). But the best lessons are often those that sting a little bit. It's called being human!!! :D

B

Big Diggin

Great finds !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the diamonds :(

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Logan! Sounds like you had the best day ever....sorry to hear about those diamonds though.

Happy Hunting/Night Stalker

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
great finds there !! all car washes have (traps) if you really want them back

mercinarie

Nov 5, 2006
Western Australia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
nice finds man, ive got one of thise chinese coins but i havent done any reasearch on it to find out what it is.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LS...great day!! 3 rings in one day is awesome, sorry to hear about your diamond loss, we've all done things that make us wonder why we did it that way or what we were thinking....as an earlier post stated, thats what makes us human and errors are what make us smarter!! Besides, those diamonds were probably fake and you;ll know better the next time when you find some real diamonds...:):)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions