Silver Half Surprise

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday afternoon I went back to this intersection island where I had accomplished my first silver dime trifecta 2 days ago. After about 3 hours I managed to pick off another Merc ('36), a few wheats and a cool door knob (note to Capt. Caveman -- I notched in the nickel range a got a few Jeffersons). With about an hour to go before I needed to head back home, and with battery power running low on my detector, I decided to end my hunting day at the main park in this community. I've had some previous luck there, finding a couple barber dimes and thought what the heck. It was very slow going as parks can be, and it was a matter of time before my detector gave out. I told myself I'll dig one last hole along the tree line where I found the barbers last year and I'm outta there. I get this signal; kinda jumpy, intermittent, but all high numbers beyond the quarter range. I'm thinking large piece of metal, but you never know. Have to dig past some roots, down to about 7-8 inches and I'm pulling out dirt when I see this silver flash in the hole...BIG silver flash. I look close and I see this huge eagle and I'm floored. Pull the coin out...it's a half, it's old, and not knowing for sure think it's a barber. I didn't want to mess with it any more than I had to until I got home to clean it. I'll let the media tell the rest:

Some picks of the day:

DSC07192.JPG DSC07193.JPG DSC07194.JPG

I never would have thought that my first ever silver half would be a 1909-O Barber:happy2:. That about constitutes another bucket list item in my book. What a great week. Good luck to everyone this weekend!

Last edited:
Upvote 30

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely on my wish list. The only Barber's I have found are dimes. Color me jealous. You got the most out that last bit of battery juice! Congrats on a great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread