What's new

Silver Half Surprise

Alchemist

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 8, 2014
Messages
364
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
0
Location
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saturday afternoon I went back to this intersection island where I had accomplished my first silver dime trifecta 2 days ago. After about 3 hours I managed to pick off another Merc ('36), a few wheats and a cool door knob (note to Capt. Caveman -- I notched in the nickel range a got a few Jeffersons). With about an hour to go before I needed to head back home, and with battery power running low on my detector, I decided to end my hunting day at the main park in this community. I've had some previous luck there, finding a couple barber dimes and thought what the heck. It was very slow going as parks can be, and it was a matter of time before my detector gave out. I told myself I'll dig one last hole along the tree line where I found the barbers last year and I'm outta there. I get this signal; kinda jumpy, intermittent, but all high numbers beyond the quarter range. I'm thinking large piece of metal, but you never know. Have to dig past some roots, down to about 7-8 inches and I'm pulling out dirt when I see this silver flash in the hole...BIG silver flash. I look close and I see this huge eagle and I'm floored. Pull the coin out...it's a half, it's old, and not knowing for sure think it's a barber. I didn't want to mess with it any more than I had to until I got home to clean it. I'll let the media tell the rest:



Some picks of the day:

DSC07192.webpDSC07193.webpDSC07194.webp

I never would have thought that my first ever silver half would be a 1909-O Barber:happy2:. That about constitutes another bucket list item in my book. What a great week. Good luck to everyone this weekend!
 
Last edited:
Upvote 60
That is a seriously nice find. Congrats...
 
great_find.gif
Nice finds! Thanks for sharing...
 
I've only found 2 Barber halves in more than 35 years detecting. Great find!
 
Congrats on digging the Barber Half Bucket lister. :occasion14: I pulled my 1st one this year and a month later, out popped the 2nd one. It's always a great day when you can check one off the list. :thumbsup:
 
She is magnificent!
Congrats.
 
Very awesome to find a Barber half, congrats to you!
 
Gorgeous coin! That's a hell of a find
 
I swear I see more Barber halves dug than Walking Libertys. Weird because they minted a ton of Walkers during WWII. Congrats on the Barber. I want one of those more thany any coin other than bust siver and a gold coin obviously
 
Sweet last year I found a 41 walking libery and a franklin half in the same dat that was the first and last time Good Job!!!
 
Awesome find and great story! That's some heavy silver! Congratulations!
 
Awesome big silver!!
 
Congrats on your first Half. That is a beauty of a Barber.
 
Congrats on another great find, glad the area is still paying off for you.....
 
Congrats on scoring the BIG Barber! Well played sir.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom