What's new

Silver hit $40; what is the next step?

at the pace things have been climbing, I think it's well within reach by the end of the summer. Seems like no matter what the Fed does, the dollar is on it's way out as a reserve currency and is likely headed to collapse. There will be three metals of value, gold, silver and lead.
 
I've just sold a few pounds of silver just in case there's a drop but what do you do with the money from gold or silver ? Fine if you have debts to clear but interest rates in many countries are well below inflation. Copper is another to watch. Our copper coins were pure copper from the year dot right up to the 1970's. Most have little or no value except as scrap.
 
Makes me glad i collected all those 1oz .999 silver medals off Ebay now! :laughing9:
 
I doubt this year. Gold spiked and now it just keeps bouncing around the $1300-1400 range.

Don't remember the guys name but years back when gold spiked the guy invested millions in silver, thinking it too would spike. He lost his arse!
Silver just doesn't seem to follow the same pattern as gold as far as investment value. Right now, copper has increased more in value than silver if you consider availability and ease of cashing in.

Some day I'm sure silver will hit $50.00, just think it will take a little longer than a year or so. I'd view silver as more of a long-term investment.

Al
 
I think silver will continue to rise as it has been. The silver manipulators are starting to be held in check so the price is free to move with demand. I think silver has been undervalued for a very long time and still has a way to go yet. I think that realistically, the gold to silver ratio should probably be around 30:1. This means that silver should be closer to $48. If the gold to silver ratio should be closer to the original 15:1, then silver should be priced at $96.

So somewhere between $48 and $96 is very reasonable and probably obtainable. Of course, these two numbers assume a lot of things. For example, these numbers assume that gold stays around $1450. If gold skyrockets to $1600 then these two numbers could also go up significantly. These numbers also assume that price manipulation will be held in check which is something that I'm not convinced of yet.
 
deepskyal said:
I doubt this year. Gold spiked and now it just keeps bouncing around the $1300-1400 range.

Don't remember the guys name but years back when gold spiked the guy invested millions in silver, thinking it too would spike. He lost his arse!
Silver just doesn't seem to follow the same pattern as gold as far as investment value. Right now, copper has increased more in value than silver if you consider availability and ease of cashing in.

Some day I'm sure silver will hit $50.00, just think it will take a little longer than a year or so. I'd view silver as more of a long-term investment.

Al
Silver has hit $42 in less than a week after this was posted. A 23% gain in the last month, 128% gain over last year at this time. Silver is just kicking gold's a$$ as an investment. I say we might see $50 by mid or end of June.
 
I am curious about one thing though.

How do you folks unload old silver coins that don't have any numismatic value because of their condition?

I have been told its is illegal to melt down US coins, is that true?

If it is, what do you do with the silver you have?
 
Smudge said:
I am curious about one thing though.

How do you folks unload old silver coins that don't have any numismatic value because of their condition?

I have been told its is illegal to melt down US coins, is that true?

If it is, what do you do with the silver you have?

It is not illegal to melt silver or gold coins. It is illegal to melt nickels and pennies. I'm not sure about clad dimes and quarters.
 
At this moment spot is now $42.25!
HH RCW
 
Ended at OVER $46 an oz today
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom