silver in the lake

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Took the Deus in the lake for the first time and found a silver ring.
Used basic #1 program
The Deus is one easy machine to operate.
Gary
Picture 194.jpg Picture 195.jpg Picture 196.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Gary, told you there was nothing special about setting up the Deus for fresh water. If I was going to use one of the built in programs without mods it would have been Deus fast, but who can argue with success.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary,

Just so you know where I'm coming from the major differences between the two programs:

Default Setting Basic/Fast

Disc 10/6.8 Fast applies a little less disc, disc applied should be based on the site conditions with more disc in heavy iron. I personally run with minimal disc I can get away with without ground noise driving me nuts on coil swings, I like to hear everything.

Tones 3T/3T I would personally nix that and go with full tones or at least 5 tones, but tone breakpoints are a pain to set up and you don't have to worry about that with full tones

Sens 90/90

TX Pwr 2/2

Freq 12/18 khz Deus Fast is biased towards small, mid-conductors. If you want maximum high conductor sensitivity go with 8 or 12 khz (4 khz can be considered the deepest for high conductors, but the drawback is that TX power is locked at 3 which may not work well for highly mineralized conditions and it will tend to bypass smaller targets vs. the higher frequencies which can better resolve smaller targets)

Iron Volume 0/3 Even if you apply disc, you may want to be able to hear the iron at low volume rather than not at all. I would go with the Deus Fast setting here, but it is a moot point if you use full tones and/or minimum disc.

Reactivity 2/3 This is the big differentiator between the two programs. If the site is trashy, you want the Deus Fast Setting of 3 - hence the name of the program. Even Reactivity 2 is pretty fast. I personally like the new ver 4.0 software setting of 2.5. A reactivity setting of 1 is as fast or faster in terms of recovery to just about any other detector out there.

Silencer 2/-1 I am not as militant as I used to be regarding the Silencer setting. I used to be dead set against any Silencer setting greater than 0 (-1 = Silencer Off) because I was afraid of the impact on Depth. Silencer 2 here does not bother me as much any more. Calabash has shown that high Silencer settings does not appreciably affect depth detectability. Therefore, my new philosophy is either no silencer (i.e., Silencer = -1) or crank silencer to 4 if you have a lot of bottlecaps. Bottlecaps tend to sound as sweet as quarters (and will give you a nice high TID reading in the 90's) if unfiltered. If you have a trained Deus ear, you can tell the slight difference between a quarter and a bottlecap as the bottlecap sounds more hollow or "lighter" sounding than a quarter hit which really "pings!" unfiltered. What silencer does is break up the bottlecap sound such that it sounds really crappy. It may still fool the TID reading, but the sound will be for crap and you can pass right over it while allowing a true quarter or other coin to ring right through. When you manually change reactivity, you have to go back and check Silencer. Silencer will automatically change to a default value associated with the reactivity setting, so if you change reactivity, you have to go in and make sure that silencer did not also change to a value you did not want. Deus Fast (and Wet Beach) are the only preset programs that default to silencer -1 (off).

Audio Response] 4/4 Good middle of the road setting. Will give only slight variations on audio volume for targets depending on depth with deeper targets sounding slightly softer than shallow targets.

Overload 1/1 Just leave it at default.

Ground Balance - manually adjust as necessary. With version 4 software I like to run with Ground Balance in tracking mode (works better in ver 4.0 than it did in ver 3.2) so I don't have to worry about it.

So as you can see, other than frequency, reactivity, and silencer, not much difference between the two programs. If the site is not trashy or doesn't have a high density of targets, sticking with Basic 1 is probably ok. I always pick Deus Fast as the starting point for my custom programs because I never wanted to have to fool with changing the Silencer setting as I would have to do with Basic.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice ring find, congratulations! :occasion14:

OP
OP
G.A.P.metal

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gary,

Just so you know where I'm coming from the major differences between the two programs:

Default Setting Basic/Fast

Disc 10/6.8 Fast applies a little less disc, disc applied should be based on the site conditions with more disc in heavy iron. I personally run with minimal disc I can get away with without ground noise driving me nuts on coil swings, I like to hear everything.

Tones 3T/3T I would personally nix that and go with full tones or at least 5 tones, but tone breakpoints are a pain to set up and you don't have to worry about that with full tones

Sens 90/90

TX Pwr 2/2

Freq 12/18 khz Deus Fast is biased towards small, mid-conductors. If you want maximum high conductor sensitivity go with 8 or 12 khz (4 khz can be considered the deepest for high conductors, but the drawback is that TX power is locked at 3 which may not work well for highly mineralized conditions and it will tend to bypass smaller targets vs. the higher frequencies which can better resolve smaller targets)

Iron Volume 0/3 Even if you apply disc, you may want to be able to hear the iron at low volume rather than not at all. I would go with the Deus Fast setting here, but it is a moot point if you use full tones and/or minimum disc.

Reactivity 2/3 This is the big differentiator between the two programs. If the site is trashy, you want the Deus Fast Setting of 3 - hence the name of the program. Even Reactivity 2 is pretty fast. I personally like the new ver 4.0 software setting of 2.5. A reactivity setting of 1 is as fast or faster in terms of recovery to just about any other detector out there.

Silencer 2/-1 I am not as militant as I used to be regarding the Silencer setting. I used to be dead set against any Silencer setting greater than 0 (-1 = Silencer Off) because I was afraid of the impact on Depth. Silencer 2 here does not bother me as much any more. Calabash has shown that high Silencer settings does not appreciably affect depth detectability. Therefore, my new philosophy is either no silencer (i.e., Silencer = -1) or crank silencer to 4 if you have a lot of bottlecaps. Bottlecaps tend to sound as sweet as quarters (and will give you a nice high TID reading in the 90's) if unfiltered. If you have a trained Deus ear, you can tell the slight difference between a quarter and a bottlecap as the bottlecap sounds more hollow or "lighter" sounding than a quarter hit which really "pings!" unfiltered. What silencer does is break up the bottlecap sound such that it sounds really crappy. It may still fool the TID reading, but the sound will be for crap and you can pass right over it while allowing a true quarter or other coin to ring right through. When you manually change reactivity, you have to go back and check Silencer. Silencer will automatically change to a default value associated with the reactivity setting, so if you change reactivity, you have to go in and make sure that silencer did not also change to a value you did not want. Deus Fast (and Wet Beach) are the only preset programs that default to silencer -1 (off).

Audio Response] 4/4 Good middle of the road setting. Will give only slight variations on audio volume for targets depending on depth with deeper targets sounding slightly softer than shallow targets.

Overload 1/1 Just leave it at default.

Ground Balance - manually adjust as necessary. With version 4 software I like to run with Ground Balance in tracking mode (works better in ver 4.0 than it did in ver 3.2) so I don't have to worry about it.

So as you can see, other than frequency, reactivity, and silencer, not much difference between the two programs. If the site is not trashy or doesn't have a high density of targets, sticking with Basic 1 is probably ok. I always pick Deus Fast as the starting point for my custom programs because I never wanted to have to fool with changing the Silencer setting as I would have to do with Basic.

Vferrari
Very good write up !
Next couple of days it will only get into the 60s to cold for me ,but will warm up.
I`ll go to the same swimming hole and run the fast program with your adjustments.
Today i`m on land back to some cabin sites.
The Deus realy produces !
Thanks Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread