Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday's hunt was more about clearing my head rather than finding treasure. On Saturday our cat of eleven years, Lucky, died of complications related to advanced stomach cancer. My wife and I knew this day was coming, but his passing still hit us like a sledgehammer. He was a beautiful creature, and will be greatly missed. So in an attempt to escape my grief ( if only for a short time), I headed into some nearby woods with my detector to do some hunting. The day was successful. I like to think that Lucky was with me, guiding me. You see, he was a great hunter too...not for silver, gold and relics...mostly for rabbits, chipmunks, and mice. He was quite skilled, and frequently brought these "gifts" home to us...

My first good target was a 1925 Mercury dime. This was part of a small spill that also included a 1917-D Wheatie

01.jpg
02.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

Next up was a pretty fancy buckle. I can't quite tell if it might have been a knee buckle, or just an ornate tack buckle. It's missing some of the glass beads around the sides, but still a nice recovery.

03.jpg
06.jpg
07.jpg

Next up was a pretty little silver ring. Nothing super special, but I love it when I manage to find any kind of ring.

08.jpg

Aside from some clad and a buffalo nickel, the only other item dug worth mentioning was a really tiny piece that appears to be a coat of arms. There are what appear to be screw holes, so I imagine that it was affixed to something...no idea how old it is or if the coat of arms has any significance. If any one has an opinion, please share.

013.jpg
012.jpg

Please join me in wishing Lucky safe travels in the afterlife. I know that we will some day meet again in the Great Beyond. Cheers!

Lucky Cat.jpg

Upvote 44
I'm sorry to hear that about Lucky. I love my cat(and most animals) more than the majority of the people in my life. Dread the day that happens to my old kitty.

So sorry for your loss, neighbor. Lost my 9 yr old Mastiff a little over a year ago- indescrible pain. I wish you comfort during this most difficult time. The coins were excellent, the reminders will be plentiful. Stay strong.

“The empty place in your heart is the surest sign that you loved your pet dearly and gave them the beautiful gift of a full and happy life.” – Unknown
Don in SoCal
Thank you Don and everyone else for your kind words and support. It means a lot. This quote really hit home for me.
Lucky did have a " full and happy life". We were blessed to have him in our life.

Loosing a pet can be just like loosing a family member - been there.
And yes, getting out on a hunt is really good for clearing your head.
Congrats on the great finds !

Silvermonkey,
I've had cats in the family all my 83 years of life. The best coaching I can give you--to partially fill the void you are experiencing--is to get another rescued kitten; maybe two.
Don in
Cats are wonderful creatures. Lucky was a stray who wandered into our yard 11 years ago, and had the good sense to stay. He was a handful, and had a long list of medical problems that needed daily attention ( lots of meds). Despite everything, he was the love of our life. I don't think another kitty is in our (near) future, but some day...you never know.
Thanks Don!

Sorry to hear of your loss. We have 2 cats as well and one of them is very special to me. She loves to cuddle up with me at night and her purr puts me to sleep.

Yesterday's hunt was more about clearing my head rather than finding treasure. On Saturday our cat of eleven years, Lucky, died of complications related to advanced stomach cancer. My wife and I knew this day was coming, but his passing still hit us like a sledgehammer. He was a beautiful creature, and will be greatly missed. So in an attempt to escape my grief ( if only for a short time), I headed into some nearby woods with my detector to do some hunting. The day was successful. I like to think that Lucky was with me, guiding me. You see, he was a great hunter too...not for silver, gold and relics...mostly for rabbits, chipmunks, and mice. He was quite skilled, and frequently brought these "gifts" home to us...

My first good target was a 1925 Mercury dime. This was part of a small spill that also included a 1917-D Wheatie
The day my Dad passed, kind of the same thing happened. he was in Florida and I was In Massachusetts. Got the call about 10:00 AM.... When Lunchtime came I took my pup out for a recon mission... to clear my head.... ending finding a virgin homesite that gave up incredible finds, Now known forever known as "Dad's cellar hole"... thanx Dad!
View attachment 2129822View attachment 2129823View attachment 2129824View attachment 2129825

Next up was a pretty fancy buckle. I can't quite tell if it might have been a knee buckle, or just an ornate tack buckle. It's missing some of the glass beads around the sides, but still a nice recovery.

View attachment 2129826View attachment 2129827View attachment 2129828

Next up was a pretty little silver ring. Nothing super special, but I love it when I manage to find any kind of ring.

View attachment 2129829

Aside from some clad and a buffalo nickel, the only other item dug worth mentioning was a really tiny piece that appears to be a coat of arms. There are what appear to be screw holes, so I imagine that it was affixed to something...no idea how old it is or if the coat of arms has any significance. If any one has an opinion, please share.

View attachment 2129830View attachment 2129831

Please join me in wishing Lucky safe travels in the afterlife. I know that we will some day meet again in the Great Beyond. Cheers!

View attachment 2129832

Great finds! I am so very sorry for your loss. Cats are amazing creatures. They are loving and loyal and put on a great show when they get the zoomies. They're just plain fun to be around. I feel your loss. A few years ago, my wife and I came home and found our Gonzo had passed unexpectedly. It's a truly heart-breaking experience.

So sorry for your loss. I think you may be right about him guiding you. The left side of the coat of arm thing appears to be a chipmunk to me. Kitties are the best aren't they.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back