What's new

silver or not silver? That is my question

rodarian

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2014
Messages
820
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
upstate New York
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First let me apologize. I actually found this ring and other items on the 8th but just found the "makers mark," this morning. I hope that counts as a "todays find" There is no stamp on the inside of this ring to indicate that it is silver but it came out of the ground with a very "silver" look to it and today, I cleaned it up and found this stamp on the outside of the ring. Can anyone identify this "mark?" I know there's a million "marks" out there and chances are slim but I thought I would take a chance. Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0272.webp
    IMAG0272.webp
    132.2 KB · Views: 200
  • IMAG0273.webp
    IMAG0273.webp
    373.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMAG0266.webp
    IMAG0266.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 182
Upvote 18
Looks like silver, but the mark is hard to make out.
 
Looks bright and shiny like silver, but my eyes aren't what they used to be and I can't make out the mark well enough to help. Is that a Masonic charm on the right? Looks pretty cool too.
 
My guess is silver...but not made in this country. Some jeweler's mark are hard to translate. What does it sound like when you drop it on a hard surface? That's how I tell. I'm betting silver.
 
It sure looks silver in your pics. I can't make out the maker's mark either. If you have a loupe or a camera that can take macro shots, someone might be able to figure it out. Nice find!
 
Those may be Arabic marks (Egypt?) - compare the first mark to the mark for .800 silver. The upside down V is the 8 and the two dots after are for the 00. Your "8" may be a bit squashed.

Silver Forums at 925-1000.com
 

Attachments

  • arabichallmarks.webp
    arabichallmarks.webp
    19.3 KB · Views: 146
  • egypthallmark.webp
    egypthallmark.webp
    20.2 KB · Views: 136
Looks bright and shiny like silver, but my eyes aren't what they used to be and I can't make out the mark well enough to help. Is that a Masonic charm on the right? Looks pretty cool too.

I'm not sure what it is but now that you say"masonic" I can see it. I may have to look into that piece, further. Thank you.
 
Those may be Arabic marks (Egypt?) - compare the first mark to the mark for .800 silver. The upside down V is the 8 and the two dots after are for the 00. Your "8" may be a bit squashed.

Silver Forums at 925-1000.com

I totally see it. I would have never known that. Thank you for that bit of knowledge. I'm convinced it is silver.:occasion14:
 
My guess is silver...but not made in this country. Some jeweler's mark are hard to translate. What does it sound like when you drop it on a hard surface? That's how I tell. I'm betting silver.

I have not dropped it but think, Bramblefind nailed it. I will remember the "drop" test, in the future. It's funny i didn't think to do that. Thank you.
 
That baby looks good. Nice and shinny!!!!8-)8-)
 
You don't usually see non silver items hallmarked. My bets on it being silver. Nice going.
 
Nice collection of finds there ! :occasion14:
 
That is an ear cuff, not a ring. I have found two of them so far. If I have ever seen silver before (ha) I can tell you just by looking, that is silver. Those are a bunch of great finds you have there. Here is a silver makers mark site for future reference. Look under Iran, I think that is your mark.
Guide to World Hallmarks II - Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

Thank you for that link, treblehunter. Hmm, a ear cuff you say. That goes into my "firsts" file.:occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom