Silver plated martingale , bullseye canteen, and very rare unidentified button !!!

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wanted to post some pictures of some finds I made on my most recent outing. The martingale is my first and simply beautiful........silver plated brass with the hand carved letter "F". Many are saying this predates the Civil War, possibly as early as the Revolutionary War, but I found it in the same fire pit as all the other relics. I think it is an early martingale that may have seen action in both conflicts...........possibly later having the letter "F" carved in it for company F during the Peninsula Campaign. The 3 state buttons turned out to be a coat Massachusetts Volunteer Militia button and a coat Michigan button. The last coat button turned out to be a very rare militia button that is unidentified in Tice's reference source and unlisted in Albert's. It looks like a staff button but has the letters CG in the eagle's shield. The backmark reads "Horstmann & Allien N. Y." It has a full stand out shank as well. In the latest reference sources it is listed as Massachusetts Militia specifically Massachusetts City Guard. Many button experts are leaning towards this specifically the city of Boston. You can tell from the pictures it was in the fire pit. The bullseye canteen is fully intact also with a pewter spout. What an awesome day of digging! All of these were found in Southeastern Virginia using my Nautilus DMC IIb. This is what I posted the day I found these..............
Just got in from hitting a new home site which was also used as a Union Camp during the Peninsula Campaign. Found a beautiful canteen 2 feet down in the middle of the site......the first one I've found in many years. Around it was evidence of a fire pit with lots of other large iron readings and oyster shells. Didn't have time to dig it out but I will be going back this weekend! Around it I found a total of 6 buttons. 3 are state buttons and 3 look like eagle buttons. Then I got a whisper of a reading and dug down about 18 inches and out popped a beautiful silver plated martingale! On the front is the letter "F". I though the canteen was going to be the best find of the day and then I found this! Then I found the only coin of the day, an 1857 Flying Eagle Penny and right beside it was the arrow hook assembly of a US buckle! Around this time it was getting dark so I gave myself another 10 minutes. In that time I dug my only bullet - a 58 caliber mini and lastly a brass circular rosette. I can assure you there are many more relics left. What an awesome day of relic hunting! I will post an addendum later as to what the buttons are. HH John E. Harris aka Devonrex

4 Attached Images

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 12

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome! i really miss my nautilus from the 80s, also miss digging those pits. spent 3 days on one in mechanicsville with my dad and dug some nice stuff including 15 buttons. those were the days. by the time we were done it was over 6 feet deep.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find John - I always thought that they were called City Guard Buttons from Boston Mass. Though I recall one reference calling them early Coast Guard buttons as well.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I would have thought that canteen would have been the find also. Have fun digging it out.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Great digs John. Looking forward to the cleaned up pics and congrats on a rare button.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
damn what a day,Now that is impressive. 004.JPG 005.JPG .closet thing I see to it of as now,is number 2 martingale in this book,of course it has a big K and not a badge shape like yours.(Now if you could show me about where you found, it I might be able to find out more about it:icon_scratch:)That nautilis must be a deep gigging machine,I have dug some deep shells and balls in the past using fisher's,but I don't think anything was over a foot and a half and that was having to listen for a slight sound.absolutly amazing finds man.:piratehand:

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
John - you've got the knack for finding the unusual and rare items. And it looks like you've done it again. Great finds!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
John - you've got the knack for finding the unusual and rare items. And it looks like you've done it again. Great finds!
Thanks Bill......its nice to see you, Dan, and me posting on the same day. I can remember some rare finds both of you have made also. Our area is rich in history.......wouldn't want to be anywhere else!

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a dragoon martingale on "google images' that depicts company F .But cant seem to see anything with that badge design.I have never been to one,but I have always heard that a good way to find out what some rarer stuff might be are civil war show's.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I've been told this martingale is EARLY! I have been contacted by one of the experts in militaria of the Revolutionary War and he has told me that this is definitely a Dragoon Martingale associated with mounted troops that dates anywhere from 1790 to 1810. He provided me with the attached photo. The letter stands for company "F" like I originally thought. However most are shaped like a heart and he has NEVER seen one shaped like a scroll or badge before like this! Many are thin brass crimped over a lead backing however mine is cast brass. I'm stoked! This pit is obviously an early trash pit to a house site like I had thought. Man I want to get back out there to finish digging it out and it is SNOWING!!! I want to thank everyone for the nice responses.
smiley.gif

Attachments

• 2012_04_28_16_30_34_00-e1342289046365.jpg
    2012_04_28_16_30_34_00-e1342289046365.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 160

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some AWESOME finds man! Congrats!

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing finds! Gotta love the Nautilus! Congrats :notworthy:

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man, I cannot BELIEVE anybody is finding canteens in that kind of shape today. The 70s and 80s? Yeah . . . but not today. Rosette . . . buttons . . . what a score. Can't wait to see what you pull outta there.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a privy dig almost, very interesting and very exciting. Great finds, and good luck after the thaw.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are super awesome finds! Congrats on finding a great MD'ing spot! GL. HH! Hope you can get out soon, after finding that, you really want to go back for more!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff! I think that button is identified in the Tice book.

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Buckle Boy for the nice comment but no Tice has it as unidentified. It is the consensus from the button authorities that this is indeed from Massachusetts and the "CG" stands for City Guard. I have also been told more specifically from the city of Boston. I don't think one has ever been posted before on any site and doubt another will be found any time soon.

Last edited:

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wonderful finds - congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread