Silver Reale identification

2krafty

Dec 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a student at SUNY Maritime researching a coin in my possession. My father tells me it was found near the Cayman islands, i did some research and believe it is a Spanish Colonial Silver Reales Coin(Pillar type) If anybody can help with a possible shipwreck it would be found on it would be greatly appreciated.

IMG-0666.jpg IMG-0665.jpg

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you think it came from a shipwreck?? These are found dropped on the ground in many states and countries. You don't list the size so hard to tell what denomination it is. Interesting setting for sure.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

2krafty

Dec 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father said he bought at an auction and it was found on a shipwreck, sadly he lost the certificate of authenticity.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.

No way of knowing where this came from unless you can find the documentation that came with it, or can retrieve the auction record.

Nevertheless, it’s ‘Charles and Joanna’ coinage of Mexico City, which divides into “Early Series (1536-1542)” and “Late Series (1542-1571)” based on major design changes arising from the arrival of all-new dies from Spain. Yours is Late Series.

The L / oM on the left / right of the shield is for the assayer (Luis Rodriguez) / mint (Mexico City). Rodriguez assay then divides into two periods: c1547-c1553 and c1554-1569, with the later period having a cruder style of engraving and generally struck on planchets with more variable thickness and roundness. Yours looks to be from that later period (consistent with the style of the design).

Spread across the pillars you have the ‘PLVS VLTRA’ inscription (variously abbreviated on these coins as PLVSVLT, PLVSVL, PLVSVT or LVSV) and above it a single ‘dot'. That indicates it’s a ‘one real’ (the ‘two reales’ would have two dots side by side, and different indications were used for other denominations).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
An additional way to determine if the coin is First or Second Series is to note the 'L' assayer, Luis Rodriguez, was not an assayer during the First Series.
Also, if the auction was online, the COA may still be retrievable.
Don....

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My father said he bought at an auction and it was found on a shipwreck, sadly he lost the certificate of authenticity.
Welcome to Tnet.
Very nice piece.
I think the shipwreck story is pretty common & although many have been sold, without the original paperwork from the shipwreck salvager, it's just a nice story. My gut feeling looking at the coin, is it has a nice cabinet tone & doesn't scream wreck coin, but that is just my WAG.
At least you have a good ID.

Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i agree, there is a lot of detail on your coin that would be obscured or weathered from "shipwreck effect" were it in salt water for 400 years.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 reales i think

See last para of post#6

There is a single dot above the abbreviated ‘PLVS VLTRA’ inscription running across the pillars, indicating one real.

The two reales would have two dots placed side by side, like this:

Two Reales.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i see it as two dots close together, how big is the coin?

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I also see what could be two dots close together.
So another way to determine the coin's denomination is by its diameter.
The Second Series 1R has a diameter of 24mm; the 2R has a diameter of 28mm; the 4R has a diameter of 33mm.
Don......

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also see what could be two dots close together.
So another way to determine the coin's denomination is by its diameter.
The Second Series 1R has a diameter of 24mm; the 2R has a diameter of 28mm; the 4R has a diameter of 33mm.
Don......
If the OP comes back with a size that will nail it.
I have one theory, it could be a single dot but a double strike, looks kind of double struck on that side to me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread