What's new

Silver ring help.

Garabaldi

Bronze Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2009
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
100
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Whites Pulse Diver, ETRAC.
There are some numbers inside this .925 silver ring. I think it says, 16-09. :dontknow: Do you think this ring was made in 2009? Anyone ever see a ring like this? My girl says she has seen the style before and thinks its from Mexico. :dontknow:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2036.webp
    IMG_2036.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_2038.webp
    IMG_2038.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_2037.webp
    IMG_2037.webp
    22.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_2036.webp
    IMG_2036.webp
    15.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2038.webp
    IMG_2038.webp
    25.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2039.webp
    IMG_2039.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 292
I know it has 925 inside the ring but it doesn't look like silver. If it is silver, cleaning it won't hurt the value. If silver polish just sits there and the ring doesn't turn it black. Not silver. Give it a go.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I am confident that it is silver, because I dug a 1948 dime that looks the same. :wink:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2061.webp
    IMG_2061.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_2061.webp
    IMG_2061.webp
    27.7 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
Doesn't look the same. The ring looks gray. The dime looks cruddy. If you clean the dime, and then compare the color, you might see the difference. Either that or you have some BAD soil there.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Its called salt water. ;D
I am more interested in the other numbers. I think this is a modern ring. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Hey, I'm on Hilton Head Island and hunting from here to Charleston, SC. Salt water will turn stuff, like silver, lead, etc. black and then eat it for lunch. If you found them in salt water, they don't look like they have been there that long.

Numbers are probably related to model number or style from the manufacturer.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
I agree, check out the Mercury Dime I found also. :-\ , but nickles come out decent. :icon_thumleft:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2057.webp
    IMG_2057.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_2060.webp
    IMG_2060.webp
    38.4 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_2059.webp
    IMG_2059.webp
    29.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2057.webp
    IMG_2057.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 249
Upvote 0
I am probably off the wall here but when I enlarged the "09" I thought it might instead read "OS" which is the chemical symbol for osmium. Then I thought perhaps the "16" is actually a "AG" which is the symbol for silver.

If it is silver-osmium perhaps that would explain the different look. I don't know if it could be a 925 and be silver osmium though.

I really don't know anything about it but there is my $0.02 :D

Do you think the bands are onyx and turquoise?
 
Upvote 0
Could be onyx and turquoise, but I am not sure. I did turn the ring upsidown and It may say 06-91. :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2063.webp
    IMG_2063.webp
    18.4 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
OSMIUM!!! RUN!!!!!

One of the most toxic metals EVER!!!

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What is Osmium?

November 17, 2008 by PreciousMetalInvestment.com
Filed under Platinum Group Metals

Leave a Comment

Osmium is a shiny silvery-bluish gray brittle metal in the Platinum group of metals.

The chemical symbol for Osmium is Os.

When heated in air it gives off the characteristic and toxic odour of osmium tetroxide.

Because of the toxicity of osmium tetroxide the metal is most often used as an alloy with other metals and as a catalyst.

Osmium alloys are characterized by their hardness and consequent resistance to wear.

With Iridium, Osmium is the densest of all elements, being about twice the weight of gold by volume.

Another notable characteristic of Osmium is that it has a lower compressibility than diamonds.
 
Upvote 0
BioProfessor said:
What is Osmium?

November 17, 2008 by PreciousMetalInvestment.com
Filed under Platinum Group Metals

Leave a Comment

Osmium is a shiny silvery-bluish gray brittle metal in the Platinum group of metals.

The chemical symbol for Osmium is Os.

When heated in air it gives off the characteristic and toxic odour of osmium tetroxide.

Because of the toxicity of osmium tetroxide the metal is most often used as an alloy with other metals and as a catalyst.

Osmium alloys are characterized by their hardness and consequent resistance to wear.

With Iridium, Osmium is the densest of all elements, being about twice the weight of gold by volume.

Another notable characteristic of Osmium is that it has a lower compressibility than diamonds.
Gosh , I hope we don't have a test on that info on Friday.
 
Upvote 0
Nope. The test is MONDAY!!! Enjoy the weekend. ;D

Gotta love the power.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
If this ring is Osmium, would it be worth more than liver nad gold?
 
Upvote 0
Garabaldi said:
If this ring is Osmium, would it be worth more than liver nad gold?
Well I don't know, what is the days spot price of liver nad gold? I don't see that one listed on Kitco anywhere! lol.

Chuck.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom