What's new

Silver Ring with Strange Marking

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2007
Messages
1,535
Reaction score
949
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Beach, California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found this down about 6" deep at my favorite beach. It came out encrusted with green crud and I had expectations of another junk ring.

I gave it a shot in my vinegar/aluminum bath (with a touch of salt). Well, it stank like Silver and cleaned up as being Silver. I suspect it's an oldtimer as this part of the beach has had sand removed and renewed with the berm construction. I have picked up 30's Mercs and lots of old wheaties.

Two strange things about this ring: First, it's marked on the outside and second, it's marked "SILVER 06" ... odd for sure.

I'm hoping we have someone on here who has seen this before or knows what it means. I do have an opinion but will keep it to myself for a little while.

HH Joe
 

Attachments

  • Ring 30May sm.webp
    Ring 30May sm.webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 656
  • Ring 30May Marking sm.webp
    Ring 30May Marking sm.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 659
Upvote 0
My guess would be that it is 90% Silver (coin silver) ?
 
Joe, congrats on the ring. :icon_thumright: Maybe the .06 refers to the karat weight of the stone. I've found references to other silver rings with .06 karat weight diamonds...... Jim
 
Congrats on the ring. I am wondering (I don't know) if it might be one of those rings they call a seal ring where they press it in warm wax and it leaves an imprint. ?????
 
I think the 06 refers to the artist who created the ring. Taxco, Mexico is widely known for the Silversmiths and they all have a registration number that is added to every piece. If you look up the number you can find out who created the ring in some cases. You should also be able to find out the year it was made. Hope this helps as I found a Silver and Turquoise Bracelet this year with "Mexico Silver TC-174. I was able to get alot of info on the web by putting the info in Google search. Good Luck
 
Why does it look like copper underneath silver plating? Am I the only one who is seeing this?
 
Hi EEThr,

I agree it might look like copper peeking under silver plating but the copper color is actually on the silver surface. I think it's the way I cleaned it. The copper from the silver alloy (900 silver has 10% other, usually copper) is dissolved and then redeposited onto the silver surface is my theory. I should be able to polish this coppery surface off.

HH Joe
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom